Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Re-steal on low stakes

Today i was playing 5$/45 on ftp. On FT i was 1 of 6. The guy on my left was raising like hell. He min-raised like 4 hands continously. When i was on bb, he raised again everyone folded and i re-raised him all in with K4s. I had like 10bb due to the structure of tourney. And he instacalled and showed AA. I know now, this guy doesn't care about position so i thought his UTG raise may not be a strong hand. And he raised pre-flop four times in a row so i thought this was a good point to re-steal. He was raping the table and didn't encounter any resistance. So i RRAI.

The thing i want to say is we have low FE(maybe zero), and it's hard to put these players on a hand range pre-flop(ok now maybe A2o+,A2s+,22+,KTo+KTs+,QTo+,QTs+) is it wrong to try to re-steal on low stakes? I tried stop n go's ,re-steals but they keep calling evertime. And that cost me lots of tourneys.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Re-steal on low stakes

Your stack is to short to re-steal.

With 10 BB if you can't open push you have to play for value.

Sorry you lost your hand.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your stack is to short to re-steal.

With 10 BB if you can't open push you have to play for value.

Sorry you lost your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure?

Blinds 50/100. Button raises to 200. We shove all-in for 1000. You think we have no FE? You think villian's not playing junk here from the button a large part of the time? Not all villians add up the pot odds.

I think so many villians lay this down after a min-rasie steal attempt that it's a good enough play. Pick the villian certainly but I can't fault it.

If they don't fold... 90% of the time you're 40/60 which isn't too bad.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:16 PM

I don't think 10bb is not enough for re-steal. Pot is 150 he raises to 200, i go all in with 900, pot becomes 1250 and he has to call 800. 1-1.5i odds are not good enough to call all in with trashes that can steal.

I'm wondering if i'm picking the wrong spots, am i unlucky for now or is it just wrong to try re-stealing on low stakes?
Old 11-22-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think 10bb is not enough for re-steal. Pot is 150 he raises to 200, i go all in with 900, pot becomes 1250 and he has to call 800. 1-1.5i odds are not good enough to call all in with trashes that can steal.

I'm wondering if i'm picking the wrong spots, am i unlucky for now or is it just wrong to try re-stealing on low stakes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well as far as spots go I think your read he was right ands the spot is unlucky. You don't make this play against a rock, calling station ...or against a giant stack that's a proven gambler. You wanna do this against someone weak, or against a good lag that can lay it down, or a tag that steals to often (which is really just a lag again).

As I type this I'm realizing something. He's not a good player. I hate min-rasies and want to jam against them so fast it goes down their damn throat. But since we know he's not a good player...is there actually a better chance that he may call more often from here than someone who raised you 300... hmmm? Thoughts anyone?