Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2006, 05:27 PM

Default Roger Clemens sweepstakes

His agent said there are 5 possiblities: Red Sox, Yankees, Houston, Texas and retirement and retirement is leading. I personally think he will not retire and would love a return to the Sox. So lets do a scientific poll.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Roger Clemens sweepstakes

those recent comments about his mother makes me think he may in fact retire.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't hear them. Thought that she passed away last year.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't hear them. Thought that she passed away last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was apparently one of her final wishes for Roger to quit. or something like that.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:51 PM

That's a pretty strange request. It's not like he's a heavyweight boxer taking trauma to the skull.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a pretty strange request. It's not like he's a heavyweight boxer taking trauma to the skull.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, they are from texas
Old 02-16-2006, 06:29 PM

I think he's signing with the Astros on May 1. He'll pitch his heart out at WBC, and unless he's the pitcher who delivers the US a championship, he'll still 'have more to prove to himself' and affter a one-month break, will decide that going to the park one day out of five for $20 mil isn't so bad.

I think the Sox could plausibly get him, but the chances of their getting back the Babe are in the same range
Old 02-16-2006, 06:33 PM

houston will be the front runner, but NY and boston can afford to change that with ease.

people assume that NY will spend whatever it takes to get roger, but i really doubt that. i am not 100% sure how the luxury tax works, but both NY and Boston will be paying a tax on rogers services. i am pretty sure NY's tax is more than bostons, and boston has a lot more payroll flexabilty.

i think this is one instance where boston can outbid NY. however, i am unsure of how deep bostons (or even NY's) interest in him is. i dont trust the press in these (or any) matters. boston aquiring clemens would require additional roster moves (clement/wells) and would put them in a spot where they maty have to take less than equal value in return via trade. this front office doesnt operate like that, so i doubt he ends up here.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
houston will be the front runner, but NY and boston can afford to change that with ease.

people assume that NY will spend whatever it takes to get roger, but i really doubt that. i am not 100% sure how the luxury tax works, but both NY and Boston will be paying a tax on rogers services. i am pretty sure NY's tax is more than bostons, and boston has a lot more payroll flexabilty.

i think this is one instance where boston can outbid NY. however, i am unsure of how deep bostons (or even NY's) interest in him is. i dont trust the press in these (or any) matters. boston aquiring clemens would require additional roster moves (clement/wells) and would put them in a spot where they maty have to take less than equal value in return via trade. this front office doesnt operate like that, so i doubt he ends up here.

[/ QUOTE ]

The tax is dollar per dollar so each team would have the same tax on Roger, basically it will double his salary.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i think this is one instance where boston can outbid NY. however, i am unsure of how deep bostons (or even NY's) interest in him is. i dont trust the press in these (or any) matters. boston acquiring clemens would require additional roster moves (clement/wells) and would put them in a spot where they maty have to take less than equal value in return via trade. this front office doesnt operate like that, so i doubt he ends up here.

[/ QUOTE ]

The tax is dollar per dollar so each team would have the same tax on Roger, basically it will double his salary.

[/ QUOTE ]

its not dollar for dollar.

NY has been over for 4 straight years, so they pay a 40% tax on every dollar OVER 136.5m

this would be bostons 3rd year and put them at 40% over 136.5. right now they are under that number(currently at 120m), and can probably stay under that for all of 2006 which further decreases the chance roger goes to boston. of course roger could sign for 20m here and if clement got traded for prospects or cheap talent they could stay under [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

boston has a very good team already and are EASILY under the tax threshold. i dont see why the owners would subject their pockets to further tax just to add a projected 2-3 wins (clemens over clement, based on my own calculations of prevois value and age/league adjustments)

now of course, you wont see this in any article written [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

roger costs houston 20m for 2006
roger costs NYY 28m for 2006
roger costs Boston 28m for 2006