Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Stud specific dealer error questions

We had a few STUD specific dealer errors which happened in our last HORSE home game, would be great to know how to best handle this in the future. This is a loose home game for relatively low stakes, and everyone is more or less ok with the group coming up with a fair solution to any conflicts or errors.

1. 7th Street, dealer burns and deals out first card face up to first player - then realizes his error and stops. What is the proper action here? We ended up dealing the remaining players cards face up.

2. Again, 7th street - cards being delt face down, one player moved his hand unexpectedly and flips his incoming card exposing it. Seems the only thing to do is just leave it exposed rather than giving him a new card?

3. Dealer is in the hand, dealing out 6th street burns into his own down cards instead of the muck and the way the cards were arranged, we could not determine for sure which card was the burn - so we all agreed his hand was dead and recommend he cap his cards in the future.

TIA
Old 02-26-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Stud specific dealer error questions

From Roberts Rules of Poker:

1. If the dealer turns the last card faceup to any player, the hand now high on the board using all the upcards will start the action. The following rules apply to the dealing of cards:

(a) If there are more than two players, all remaining players receive their last card facedown. A player whose last card is faceup has the option of declaring all-in (before betting action starts).

(b) If there are only two players remaining and the first player's final downcard is dealt faceup, the second player's final downcard will also be dealt faceup, and the betting proceeds as normal. In the event the first player's final card is dealt facedown and the opponent's final card is dealt faceup, the player with the faceup final card has the option of declaring all-in (before betting action starts).

2. Players fault. He plays it exposed.

3. A hand with more than seven cards is dead. A hand with less than seven cards at the showdown is dead, except any player missing a seventh card may have the hand ruled live. [See “Section 16 – Explanations,” discussion #4, for more information on this rule.]
Old 02-26-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't that clear. A card which hits a players finger and flips up needs to be distinguished from a card which comes under the control of the player and is then flipped up or a player who deliberately acts in a way that is likely to flip the card. I properly pitched card will not flip up simply from running into a players finger, but if the card is improperly pitched it may.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't that clear. A card which hits a players finger and flips up needs to be distinguished from a card which comes under the control of the player and is then flipped up or a player who deliberately acts in a way that is likely to flip the card. I properly pitched card will not flip up simply from running into a players finger, but if the card is improperly pitched it may.

[/ QUOTE ]

In his post he writes:

"one player moved his hand unexpectedly and flips his incoming card exposing it."

The dealer can't be faulted for a player moving his hands during the deal. Players need to protect their action and their cards.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 PM

Perfect rulings, all 3
Old 02-26-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The dealer can't be faulted for a player moving his hands during the deal. Players need to protect their action and their cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

COOORectomundo.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

COOORectomundo.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. You must be having a good day.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:12 PM

Where I play, the rule is if the first 7th street is exposed, all are exposed (tho' action still on the best hand before that). Not sure which I prefer.

Tell your players to protect their hands, especially the dealers. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] In the waning hours of my games, I often almost burn into my hole cards, too.