Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Classifying players

just wondering how i should classify players by their stats and what their stats represent. i guess the first few classes that i want to be able to recognise would be TAG LAG TP LP and outright donk

atm i generally just look at a players vpip (using PT) to make an 'educated' guess at what kind of player a person is, but i dont really know what AF/pfr fits each class.

i need to learn how to play players accordingly!
Old 11-24-2007, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Classifying players

dude...just put in the hands and it will come. Us telling you isn't going to help that much. Not to mention ive seen donks in tags clothing more than enough.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:47 PM

classifying players into a general category is out of date at this point in micro stakes if you want to become a serious player. VPIP/PFR is just going to give you a generalization of how they play preflop which is one of the most unimportant parts of micro stakes poker. It's nice to know this info but it's better to know how they play postflop as this is where the pot starts growing exponentially. Aggression factor is only important if you know how often they fold per street since a high AF could mean they fold a lot and play back with strong made hands a lot. Vs aggressive postflop players you likely want to change a hand you raise with to a hand you call in hopes they will put more money in on the next street. Vs passive postflop players you'll want to value bet the heck out of them so they'll call with modest holdings or fold altogether. I tend to float vs the decent players if they are tight preflop, c-bet a lot, and their aggression on the turn is far lower than their flop aggression. You just have to deal with them on a street by street basis and keep coming up with possible holdings that their actions would match. That's really the best way I can put it.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:00 AM

imo in microstakes games the villains can hold just about anything, so labelling them as lag tag or bobtail isn't any advantage, i make notes as to how they played tp wk, flush/str8 draws etc, try to put them on a hand, even totally obscure hands, as i say, any 2 cards is the norm in these games, with that said, your own game should be tag imo