Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Somebody explain this to me

If being gay is normal than why do gays get offended when someone makes a gay joke or comment? If someone made a joke about me being straight I wouldn't feel the need to lash back or say something like gays do," you must be straight cause you sound confused yourself, you questioning your sexuality?"

Politics explain this
Old 11-21-2007, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Somebody explain this to me

Ding!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:33 PM

I don't think they should get offended by the word "f@ggot" either. I know more straight people that are [censored] than gays!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:35 PM

Guys please don't troll this thread. I want srs answers to this question.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:39 PM

Being black is normal, wtf is up with these black people getting all offended by racist jokes and the word n****** and crosses burning on their lawns?

I want srs answers to this question Jay Riall. Once you have that answer, consider how we might construct an analogous justification for why gay people would be similarly offended.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:40 PM

If being christian is normal than why do christian get offended when someone makes a christian joke or comment? If someone made a joke about me being of muslim faith I wouldn't feel the need to lash back or say something like christians do," you must be of muslim faith cause you sound confused yourself, you questioning your religion?"

etc
Old 11-21-2007, 09:43 PM

Jay,

People don't simply belong to groups in society which are which are equal to any other group. Societies have historically strongly normalized behavior in certain domains. When the marginalized group is also the minority (as is the case with gays throughout recent history), they are frequently ostracized and face mentally, physically and emotionally damaging behavior from others.

When we grow up, homosexuality and heterosexuality are not seen as on the same footing. This is easy because homosexuality is both the "other" sexuality and because they are in the overwhelming minority (or so we are told, this is hard to determine because the behavior may be largely socially defined). When you meet someone, you simply assume they are heterosexual, barring any very strong reasons to assume otherwise (which are normally seen as negative attributes). To be homosexual is thus to be defined in negation to heterosexuality, it is to be somehow deviant and abnormal. It is stigmatized or hated by many. They are ostracized and abused in nearly every corner of the world.

Is it honestly that hard to believe that they are a little touchy about jokes that seperate them from heteros, often in a derrogatory fashion?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If being gay is normal than why do gays get offended when someone makes a gay joke or comment? If someone made a joke about me being straight I wouldn't feel the need to lash back or say something like gays do," you must be straight cause you sound confused yourself, you questioning your sexuality?"

Politics explain this

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the just of it is the fact that the vast societal norm is to be straight, and the gays are secluded outside of it. I wasn't trolling you, the answer just seems obvious.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being black is normal, wtf is up with these black people getting all offended by racist jokes and the word n****** and crosses burning on their lawns?

I want srs answers to this question Jay Riall. Once you have that answer, consider how we might construct an analogous justification for why gay people would be similarly offended.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a racial joke is made and someone is offended they might get mad or upset because that person made fun of them. Just like being ugly or fat, etc. But why the need to defend being gay if it's normal? You'd never see someone defending his race like ," Ya i'm (race?) so, you not comfortable with your race, is that why you make fun of mine?"
Old 11-21-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If a racial joke is made and someone is offended they might get mad or upset because that person made fun of them. Just like being ugly or fat, etc. But why the need to defend being gay if it's normal? You'd never see someone defending his race like ," Ya i'm (race?) so, you not comfortable with your race, is that why you make fun of mine?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you considered that this is because, among the various stupid things people say about blacks, "you chose to be black" is not one of them?
Closed Thread