Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 03:56 AM

Default A Problem I Have With betting for value/bluffing...

fwiw i play $100nl 6m on euro sites and FTP.

basically... i bet SMALL when i hit/have a hand and BIG when i c-bet/bluff.

the obvious answer is to say "make them both the same" as this would make you v difficult to read.

but i have a problem doing this. for me - when i have AA and raise to $4 pf and get 2 calls and the flop is Q72r i'll be betting $5 or so into the $13ish pot.

my reasoning is that i want this bet to be called. obv i bet more on coordinated boards to discourage draws and slow down on later streets if they hit.

when i have AK and the SAME flop comes i'll be betting $11 or so. my reasoning for this is that i want my bet to elicit a FOLD. big bets discourage calls.

i sorta know this is wrong... fwiw i hardly ever bet more than the pot.

so far i don't think my opponents have picked up on this leak(?) that well but i have and it's bugging me.

surely the idea of a bluff is to look like you have a hand. so you should be betting what you would if you actually held the hand you are repping. i just find this hard to do when looking at my cards.

for the tl dr crew:
kinda jumbled up... but basically i VB too small because i figure i want action and i bluf perhaps too big because i want a fold. is this standard? sorry if this post sucks. just want to get my bet sizing in diff situations sorted. tyfr.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:58 AM

Default Re: A Problem I Have With betting for value/bluffing...

If they're gonna call $5 when you have aces, they're gonna call $9. If they don't have anything, they don't have anything.. but you need to build a pot.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:48 AM

Ummm....so bet bigger?
Old 11-18-2007, 04:56 AM

well... what is the standard 2p2 nlhe 6m line with AK when it comes A62r and you're first to act.

same hand and a 952r flop? do you be the same?

i just hate betting 3/4 pot etc with a big hand and having them fold... then trying to think if they would have called 1/4 pot etc.

maybe this is results orientated thinking...

i.e even if they only call 3/4 pot XX% of the time i will still make more money overall than betting 1/4 pot and getting called a higher % of the time.

maybe this is all about maximizing EV. obv i'm a bit weary on that too.. fwiw i win... just not as much as i'd like to.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:19 AM

lol this thread is so useless! wtf you know what your problem is but donīt change it? sounds really stupid...
Old 11-18-2007, 07:09 AM

Your reasoning is very bad. If you raise preflop and the flop comes A73, everybody who calls a 1/2 potsize bet will also call a 3/4 potsize bet. you think you are able to make them call with weaker hands if you vary your betsizing but this thinking is very flawed. of course, this might work sometimes but it is too important to bet the flop big in all the other cases when your opponents have a hand. assuming, you will bet the turn and river as well the money that went in the pot on the flop will be returned to you doubled or tripled so that this makes up for the very few times your opponents fold on the flop when they would have called a smaller bet.

btw., a lot of players do pick up on this read.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:31 AM

wow dude your play is so exploitable just dont cry when they call your flop bet of 5 bucks and hit a set on the turn and then commit