Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-28-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Need help getting out of a gym contract

Hello OOT, i required your help on getting out of a gym contract which i signed for a year. It has been 5 months so far, and i recently got a new job and the new schedule does not work with the gym's schedule. This is a MMA training gym, and their classes are mon - sat classes start at 6pm, and theres a class every hour, 6pm and 7pm is the technique training and at 8pm they have sparring sessions on Tues and Thurs. Due to my schedule change i cannot make any of the technique training classes only the sparring classes, because i would work from 9:30-6:30 and drive back home is 45mins to an hour.

I signed a yearly contract, which states the contract may be broken if I either sustain an injury which disables me from training for up to 3 months, or if i move more than 30 miles away from their gym location.

So heres some things i've thought of so far:
1. Fake a electricity bill from a friends house who lives over 30 miles away.
2. Get a doctor to write anote claiming i have some sort of condition that prohibits me from training.
3. Talk with the owner and nicely ask him to let me out of the contract due to my schedule change.
But i have some questions about those 3 plans, this is where you can help me.

1. DO you think these people would actually verify some how that it is actually my bill and that i actually live there?

2. What condition can i claim to have? Faking an injury would seem too hard since id have to act, i was thinking of faking a chronic condition. I've heard of people claiming Heart Murmurs to get out of Bally's gym contracts.

3. When i signed they claimed to not be as strict as other gyms and that they were like family. I am not sure if i should try this, because if it fails, then they will know im looking to get out, and the other 2 plans may not work because they would be more vigilant.

Your insight is appreciated, thank you!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Need help getting out of a gym contract

shoot yourself in the balls. this will provide with you with the injury you need while freeing the world from the possibility of ever being cursed with your retarded offspring.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:09 PM

You will be lucky if you can even get out of your contract at the end of the 12 months. Gyms are notorious for this.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:10 PM

Jump off a cliff, you're bound to break something.

Or else just talk to them. Sounds like your gym isn't very member friendly if they won't cancel your membership because you can't make it to any more classes.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:11 PM

I would just explain the situation and offer to buy out of the contract for a couple month's dues. I really doubt they will refuse.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:20 PM

Number 3 is your best option. Just be honest, and explain that your changed circumstances is just as if you moved away: you really cannot make use of the membership. This type of gym (MMA) should not want to risk bad word of mouth which might deter others from joining.

If that does not work, make sure you get the "no" from the highest manager possible.

After that, come back to OOT and we can plan the next step.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:25 PM

4. Challenge the owner to a fight to the death in the Octagon. Win or lose, you will get out of the contract one way or the other.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:35 PM

all you need is a doctor to write you a note.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:00 PM

Don't do #3. Generally speaking, businesses have very little incentive to cater to a customer who is leaving. Why should they give you free money when you are legally bound to a contract in their favor?

I went through a horrible experience terminating my contract with my previous gym (David Barton in NYC), and it was a month-to-month contract. They had some absurd requirements for termination, and the person who was handling the case purposely delayed certain paperwork to eek out an extra month or two of dues. Fortunately I just bitched to AmEx and they sorted it out for me, but it was a pain in the ass nonetheless.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:00 PM

you can do what I did that worked.

First I tried asking the manager nicely, and then when they refused I canceled the credit card they had on file and any mail from them was marked "return to sender" and put back in the mailbox. After a letter ever 2 weeks or so, they gave up after 4 months.