Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 03:33 AM

Default Belated Pooh-Bah Post

So I never made a Pooh-Bah post. This is actually my 3239th post but w/e...here's a Pooh-Bah post if anybody's interested. (I meant for this to be a lot better but I got tired of writing it and it would've been long as hell if I did what I was originally going to. Sorry, hopefully it still helps somebody somehow)

First my quick poker story.

I'd played poker in the past and was winning live and had lost a bunch online especially at cash games. In Sept. 05 I decided to take it serious and play online in order to earn money....Started at sng's...I've played over 5k sng's (made a bit over $11K at them). In like Dec. 06 I start trying to switch to cash games/ Go to 200NL FR and crush it then start to lose...go to 100NL and same thing....switch to 100NL 6max and losing continues. So I go to 50NL 6 max and start posting in this forum a lot. I play a bunch of hands at like 1.8 PTBB/100 hands and I keep posting and reading and playing...Now I have a winrate over 5PTBB/100 hands at 50NL over a 6 figure sample size....and currently I'm playing 100NL... successfully so far (4.82PTBB/100 hands over 35,000 hands).

I have nothing really amazing to say so my post is going to focus on some things that I learned, changed in my game and the big leaks I think I fixed that helped me to improve so much. So here we go:

Pre-flop
Stealing
Implied Odds
3Betting (Best section I think)

Flop
Overpairs
C-Betting

Turn
Baluga
Double Barreling
Marginal Hand (Bet it or check behind) - very short

Turn and River
Thinner Value - (not really instructional just something to work on)

PRE-FLOP
(Don't ever open-limp.)

Stealing:

Tighter range in Ep and loosen up on CO or button. Steal those blinds. My attempt to steal now is between 30 and 35 and it could probably stand to be higher. Raise those suited A's and suited K's in LP...raise the suited 2 gappers...raise, raise, raise.

Good Threads:

6 Max fundamentals: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...t=1#Post7827947

Blind Stealing:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=5348855

Blind Stealing Part 2:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=6073737

Implied Odds

You need 11.7 times your investment to set mine with a pocket pair. That is all. That adjustment from what I was previously using undoubtedly made me a lot of money. Thanks go to dbitel though I'm not sure where that thread is now.

I'm not really going to say anything. Here's a good thread for this regarding suited connectors:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1

3Betting:

Obviously we 3bet our big hands...but we're going to have to open up that 3betting range. When we 3bet pre-flop we can take it down right there or we can take it down on the flop with a c-bet. We also still have the chance of hitting something big and we will be disguising our big hands. So don't call OOP with AJ/AQ,etc....3bet it.....or fold.

Pick the right players to 3bet light. That 56/14 guy is probably going to call you too much for 3betting 76s to be a good idea. However, I will 3bet AQ and maybe AJ vs. him because those hands are definitely ahead of his range and very very possibly are ahead of his calling range. (AT may actually be too.)

TAG's are generally very good players to 3bet especially in LP since they will be raising a lot and stealing the blinds with a very wide range, but generally will not be calling 3bets with too wide a range especially not if you haven't 3bet him a lot in the past. Let's look at this:

Let's say we are playing 50NL. We've got a 19/16 TAG with an attempt to steal of 29% on the CO and hero is the button. Villian raises to $2 making the pot $2.75. Now if hero raises to $7 he has to win about 72% of the time to immediately break even. Let's say villian calls/or 4bets with 88+,AJ+ (I think that's a pretty loose range btw especially for a TAG who is going to be OOP post-flop.) That's about 6.8% of hands and remember villian is stealing with ~29%. 6.8/29 = x/100 and x = 23.45%. So villian is going to fold to our 3bet about 76/77% which makes 3betting here immediately profitable. So IMO 3betting here with ATC is not bad until villian begins to adjust to you. And if you can bring your 3bet size of 7 down in certain situations where you are doing this then that will make it even more profitable.

I hope that gives people an idea that 3betting ranges can really and should really be opened up in certain situations.

FLOP:

Overpairs...

So the common I raised with AA/KK pre-flop, got called, bet the flop and got raised. This is really an opponent and situation dependent problem. You really don't want to fold too much though. And I will say this...if the flop is drawy you generally want to shove it in on the flop and if it is not drawy then it is usually best to not 3bet.

C-Betting:

In headsup pots cbet nearly always. In 4way pots cbet nearly never if you don't have a hand.

3way: A good one to c-bet is a flop with 1 big card and not very drawy like Kd8c3h. Bad flops to c-bet are low card drawy ones like 8c7d3c This is because a lot more hands will call on flops like the latter and if we have no hand we don't want calls.

TURN:

Stacking Off Light:

Baluga. Turn check-raises are almost always big hands and TPTK is no good....don't stack off light. I used to do that waaayy too much.

Thread:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=6607951

Double Barreling:

Orange explains it so well...so nothing from me. Here:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...page=&vc=1

Marginal Hands:

If you have a pair of aces with say a T or 9 kicker (or something like this hand) and you are IP and checked to then I think it's better to bet on a drawy turn and on non-drawy turns check behind then call on the river or valuebet if checked to on the river.

VALUE on TUrn and River:

This is something I vastly improved on....getting more value and getting thinner value on the turn and river. Have to learn to read hands and get thinner value on these later streets. This will really only come with experience and effort IMO as well as study and analysis of many different hands.

Ok....I meant for this to be a lot better. I was going to really go into depth on everything and really try to flesh out my thoughts. But it would have been long as hell and I've already gotten tired of writing this. It probably sucks and it espeically got so much worse towards the end of it but whatever.

Hopefully the part on 3betting is good and will help some people.

Good luck at the tables guys.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Belated Pooh-Bah Post

Delete this post. Its way too good.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:09 PM

I don't really think it's too great but I don't want it to die too quickly. The 3betting part is decent at least.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:21 PM

good stuff. keep owning bitches
Old 11-16-2007, 06:27 PM

Amazing - thanks
Old 11-16-2007, 06:33 PM

NH. I love this stuff.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need 11.7 times your investment to set mine with a pocket pair. That is all. That adjustment from what I was previously using undoubtedly made me a lot of money.

[/ QUOTE ] Can you explain more about your adjustment here? It sounds like you are saying you call more often with PPs after the adjustment, but I have seen several posts recently that say most of the time the implied odds just aren't there even when the stacks exceed this ratio.

Another question about the 3betting. You mention 3betting loose players with hands as weak as AT, AJ. What do you do when you miss the flop, you c-bet and they inevitably make the loose flop call. I get so lost when this happens and often find myself check folding the possible best hand on the turn. (I guess this applies to any non-pair hand you 3bet them with).
Old 11-16-2007, 06:57 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain more about your adjustment here? It sounds like you are saying you call more often with PPs after the adjustment, but I have seen several posts recently that say most of the time the implied odds just aren't there even when the stacks exceed this ratio.

[/ QUOTE ]

I call less often with poket pairs actually. The 5/10 rules works out to were you will need to on average make 10 times your pre-flop ibvestment in order to setmine. DBitel showed that it is more accurately actually that you will need to make 11.7 times your pre-flop investment so you will need to be able to get more money in order to purely setmine....remember we are talking about playing it just to setmine.

And you bring up a good point...this doesn't mean that the money has to be in the stacks (it does.. this is necessary but not sufficient)...it means that the money has to be in the stacks and you have to be able to get it in the middle. Obviously this is what you need to judge and is based on several factors notably the villian and his range.

This is why when a TAG with an attempt to steal of 33% open raises on the button calling with 66 to setmine isn't really going to be so good (you can call if you plan to not always play fit or fold). Folding here would also be fine. I like to 3bet a decent amount of the time. Same thing really if he raises on the CO and you're on the button....here though I might call sometimes instead of 3betting because it will be easier to float and play my midpair IP. You might even think about things if a good player raises in EP since he probably won't stack off light. You always have to be thinking about your implied odds especially in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Another question about the 3betting. You mention 3betting loose players with hands as weak as AT, AJ. What do you do when you miss the flop, you c-bet and they inevitably make the loose flop call. I get so lost when this happens and often find myself check folding the possible best hand on the turn. (I guess this applies to any non-pair hand you 3bet them with).

[/ QUOTE ]

(First of all c-bets in 3bet pots do not need to be as big as normal. 2/3's of the pot is plenty sufficient.) Well in my experience it is very rare that they will call a c-bet on the flop in a 3bet pot with nothing....even players who don't fold to c-bets very often usually will here. (There are some players who are just crazy and there have actually been about 3 or 4 times in the few hundred thousand hands I've played that I've just called OOP with AQ,AJ...but IMO those are very rare spots.) And you'll stack those guys a lot in 3bet pots when you hit TP or better.

If you miss the flop and get called on the flop then check/folding the turn will usually be the best play.

Remember though that they have to be raising loose to 3bet them and not just have a high volume put in the pot.

It is a lot easier to play in position so it will be a lot easier to 3bet these loose player's CO raises from the button, but it's still +ev to do so from the blinds even if you end up check/folding the turn sometimes.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:06 PM

Exactly the type of response I was hoping for. Very helpful. Thanks!