Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 11-16-2007, 02:32 AM

Default a very scary feature

maybe this is old news, but I hadnt seen it anywhere before. Apparently on pokershare they have a new feature called the "playmate" which will basically give you a ton of info about your opponents, tell you how strong your hand is, calculate your odds, tell you your chances of winning against his likely range of hands, and will even suggest a course of action. you can read it here

I guess from a site POV it makes good sense, it turns even the most hapless crap player into a much better player, and allows him to keep his money longer and thus run it through the rake machine many more times. But if every site started doing this, it would be a TERRIBLE thing for those of us who do this for a living. I shudder at the thought
Old 11-16-2007, 03:49 AM

Default Re: a very scary feature

Definitely gross.

My immediate reaction was that most sites wouldn't adopt it, but I have no real reason for thinking so. Positive thinking wise, it might tank if it kills the games quickly, I agree with the idea that sites wouldn't mind all hudbots playing because they basically bleed themselves dry over a longer period of time, but this thing might kill the games pretty quick, I dunno.

Blech.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My immediate reaction was that most sites wouldn't adopt it, but I have no real reason for thinking so.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that was my reaction as well, I was like "god thats horrible, no way will other sites adopt that" Then I stopped and thought about it for a minute and couldnt think of a single good reason why they shouldnt [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2007, 04:55 AM

I dunno, it's not like a revolutionary idea. Seems like longterm it would have negative effects. Also, a lot of fish may feel uncomfortable knowing their stats are out there for everyone else to see. I don't know, I just don't see it catching on, at least anytime soon.

Also, from the site - this is one of the statistics:

Risk - This is a player's chances of winning a hand, based solely on his previous won/lost hands. Risk rating goes from Low (Low chance of winning the hand) to Extreme (There is an Extreme likelihood this player will win the hand).

lol?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My immediate reaction was that most sites wouldn't adopt it, but I have no real reason for thinking so.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that was my reaction as well, I was like "god thats horrible, no way will other sites adopt that" Then I stopped and thought about it for a minute and couldnt think of a single good reason why they shouldnt [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can think of a reason. The games would become boring beyond belief with everyone using software telling them what to do. Even the newbs would get bored with too many people playing the same way.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:53 AM

Why would the fish want this software? After all, in their minds they are better than the competition and they don't want the other players to have an advantage putting them on equal footing.

In other words, I can't imagine a whole lot of players actually wanting this, even the losers.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I guess from a site POV it makes good sense, it turns even the most hapless crap player into a much better player, and allows him to keep his money longer and thus run it through the rake machine many more times. But if every site started doing this, it would be a TERRIBLE thing for those of us who do this for a living. I shudder at the thought

[/ QUOTE ]

The more I think it over, the more I think you're right, and the more I hate this software...
Old 11-16-2007, 09:33 AM

And I thought sites wanted rid of bots.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:59 AM

I dont think this will become very common.

Imagine you are a fish(or lets put it in more general terms) you just play something for fun(read: not comeptitively). You just wanna have a good time, and do what you feel like doing, I doubt the typical fish will stop calling with junk or the typical maniac will stop bluffing because some software tells them to, I highly doubt they will even bother understanding the software and instead just continue what they are doing as it is fun.

Just bear with me on this analogy :P:

I suppose many of you should know World of Warcraft. Theres a [censored] of formula out there to get the best possible gear for different situations/ideal strategies wuteva.

Yet most people still suck as they just play how they believe is right and dont want to read up on the matter(or change their behaviour even after people give em advice), and getting good at wow is alot simpler than getting good at poker, yet people dont bother and just play for fun/how they believe is right.

Probably total bs what I wrote but meh :P
Old 11-16-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yet most people still suck as they just play how they believe is right and dont want to read up on the matter(or change their behaviour even after people give em advice), and getting good at wow is alot simpler than getting good at poker, yet people dont bother and just play for fun/how they believe is right.

[/ QUOTE ]
as a WoW-lover: QFT!

But you forgot one thing: I wouldn't bother to play if I knew some of the opponents uses something else than his brain.
Because I like my strategy and I can beat even a little better strategy (because of fast movements, feeling, etc.).

conclusion:
- if WoW could be played for money I would use that sw and find a new game for relaxing
- if WoW would incorporate "movement advisor" I would stop playing (I can play campaign if I want to play against bots - same applies for poker).

bad bad idea. Maybe some desperate site.