FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Good Luck Hunters!!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Deer is delicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrapping it with bacon while grilling is clutch. Gets rid of the gamy taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of the gamy taste can be remedied by properly preparing the meat. Keeping it in a cooler with ice for a couple of days while periodically refreshing the ice and draining the water will help a lot.

Softening up the meat is another story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wild game benefits greatly from an alcohol based marinade. This both reduces (but does not eliminate) the gamey flavour and tenderizes the meat. Kill two birds with one stone this way.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZnsL7-UdGc

[/ QUOTE ]

Would have been much cooler had the sow snuck up on them from behind while they were lining up the boar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick, she's comin right for us!

Old 11-16-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, there's a pretty strong correlation between hunting and being a fat racist redneck.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ridiculous. I haven't hunted in years but I have many friends who are avid hunters and fishermen. Most of these guys are professionals in their respective fields and far from rednecks.

I don't know if you were serious or just trying to be amusing (trolling?) but it's a very uninformed statement. We aren't talking about Bubba and Skeeter shooting at raccoons and squirrels from their porch.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am personally against hunting

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I assume you are a vegetarian or vegan. Which is fine. At least I can respect the opinion of someone who lives the lifestyle. I still don't understand the anti-hunting people who don't think twice before purchasing their meat on Styrofoam and wrapped in plastic.

I was never an avid hunter but I used to go out for small game - although it's been years since I've done so. I never had the stomach for big game - I simply can't bring myself to shoot a deer or moose. That being said I'm more than happy to enjoy the meat once it's been butchered - even if I am a whiny [censored] when it comes to shooting the animal myself.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:45 AM

I read an article somewhere focusing on the decline in the number of active hunters per year and how this was disconcerting to animal rights activists who receive substantial funding from the fees associated with hunting...

I personally would love to try hunting but none of my friends hunt and I'm not sure where to start.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am personally against hunting

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I assume you are a vegetarian or vegan. Which is fine. At least I can respect the opinion of someone who lives the lifestyle. I still don't understand the anti-hunting people who don't think twice before purchasing their meat on Styrofoam and wrapped in plastic.

I was never an avid hunter but I used to go out for small game - although it's been years since I've done so. I never had the stomach for big game - I simply can't bring myself to shoot a deer or moose. That being said I'm more than happy to enjoy the meat once it's been butchered - even if I am a whiny [censored] when it comes to shooting the animal myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should clarifiy. My position is alot more specific then I do not like hunting. In general i do not like killing of animals but i do like to eat meat, so i realize i am being a hypocrite. I think like the other poster said, If killing X Deers makes the rest of the Deers healthier and supports their system then i am ok with that, as long as as close to the minimum is killed as possible AND that the Deer killed get used for meat and other useful items. I doubt this makes any sense, but in my head it seems to.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:16 AM

That sounds fair.

"AND that the Deer killed get used for meat and other useful items. "

This part is crucial. I take issue for those who hunt only for sport without any respect for the animals or their environment. The meat must be butchered and the pelts can be donated/sold if you don't want to pay to have them manufactured into something useful.

All hunters that I associate with are very respectful of the environment around their hunting camps and wouldn't tolerate anyone in their party who was not. In addition to being hunters these guys are usually avid campers and outdoorsmen (as were their own fathers). Respect for nature is automatic.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:51 PM

This was from last year.

I got a cow elk this year, but no photos.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was from last year.

[big image]

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice 1.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:00 PM

You guys are killing me. I haven't been able to hunt for the last few years, and I miss it so much.
Buddy of mine got a 6-point buck opening day (Minnesota) but didn't see anything the rest of the week.