Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 11:08 PM

Default Re: It starts in my toes, and I cringle my nose, and smack down the ho

i personally don't like it... you're investing 2bb's in a bluff when folding would definately be better.... if it was close to a call, i wouldn't mind raising but that would depend on how loose her raising standards are from ep... like if she would raise something like A9 or 55....

i am assuming a range of AT+/77+
Old 11-08-2007, 11:21 PM

Don't be afraid to turn a made hand into a bluff. I think this should work often enough that it shows a nice profit. Not thinking about taking strange lines is a leak in my thought process, but it doesn't affect my hourly much, because my typical opponents are so bad that they'll call too often.

I like the part in theory of poker where david writes that everytime you consider a certain line, you should at least briefly think about what the result of a different line would be. All too often, I just utterly disregard taking certain kinds of lines, which is usually appropriate, but I think it limits my depth of thinking about poker. So in other words, blahblahchowmeow poker is usually right in soft games, but letting your thinking get sloppy is a poor way to improve your overall game and eventually move up.

You have to consider your table image, and the opponent. If the opponent is capable of folding then this is a great spot for your hand, because she should very rarely have an ace, and you are representing one perfectly.

This should even work a decent amount of the time vs. strong players, because they might think "well he obv has at least a calling hand, and now he is raising? That can't be a bluff!"

IMO, this makes value betting against strong players too much a very unattractive proposition at times, because you can get into tough spots against them. It's really quite a nightmare to sit there on the turn OOP against someone who will FSDR you a decent amount of the time.

So yeah, put her in a tough spot. If you get called, tabled your hand when she checks the river. The other players will think you are dangerous and will not want to mess around with you. This can be a recipe for getting a ton of free showdowns, free cards, and loose calls. Profit!
Old 11-09-2007, 09:23 AM

Not sure I love it, but it's great if/when it works.

Would she have C/R'd you with just an overcard hand like a big Ace? I assume not, and that the turn raise is intended to push her off KK-TT?

So long as you're prepared to fold to a raise and not put in another bet after this ...
Old 11-09-2007, 11:06 AM

I like it, I'll have to add this play to my repertoire.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:23 AM

Usually I post hands where I [censored]-up, but here I think I played this one supaprofessionally. I think the key to this hand is thinking about hand ranges. Thinking about it, I am behind almost every hand she could possible have. 88-KK, or AK AQ. It is unlikely that she is holding a hand like A8 or A9 in early position and I think it is unlikely that she has AK or AQ b/c she c/r the flop. Thus, maybe if I had thought about this on the flop I would have folded then. Anyway, she thought for a second and folded QQ.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
blahblahchowmeow poker

[/ QUOTE ]

I would very much like to see this become official terminology.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:50 AM

She showed you the Queens? Nice.