Old 11-07-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Re: The Rivalry

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought The Rivalry was New England fans v. Everyone else

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[hijack] I get this is a joke, but I love how NE fans think they are the only fans to get this treatment[/hijack]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah, everyone talks [censored] about Minnesota fans.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:02 PM

I think the hijacks demonstrate why us non-Boston/NY people hate Boston/NY people. There are only 17,000 threads devoted to Boston and NY sports in some capacity; this one isn't, but I guess they can't stand a non-NY/Boston thread.

Uh, okay, anyway. I'm interested to see it too. Didn't they interview Bo just before he died? The one thing I wish (well aside from beating OSU more often recently) is that there was a little more animosity between Carr and Tressel. I don't need them threatening the other's family or anything but enough of this "Well I respect Lloyd Carr he's a great coach..." Give me someone I can loathe not just because he coaches OSU but b/c he's a jerk (Woody). Things are more fun when you can semi-legitimately cast your foes in a more negative light than "They are a sports team from your area that plays a sports team from my area."
Old 11-07-2007, 09:05 PM

I actually hijacked this because I'm a PSU fan.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

third place called...they miss you...

this is the ONLY rivalry, as far as i'm concerned, as a michigan fan living in northeast ohio...
Old 11-07-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

third place called...they miss you...

this is the ONLY rivalry, as far as i'm concerned, as a michigan fan living in northeast ohio...

[/ QUOTE ]

I became a fan in the dark ages, when I first started going there. I wouldn't know what it's like to root for a consistently powerful college football team.

I don't really mind UM. OSU can suck it hardcore, though.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the hijacks demonstrate why us non-Boston/NY people hate Boston/NY people. There are only 17,000 threads devoted to Boston and NY sports in some capacity; this one isn't, but I guess they can't stand a non-NY/Boston thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea man, because a thread entitled "The Rivalry" shouldn't generate discussion as to what the best rivalry is, aside from the one suggested in the OP. Right...

IMO college football rivalries are way overhyped. Navy fans rushed the field after giving the Irish their 8th loss on the season. Sweet. Army-Navy routinely suck yet they put that trash on NBC? No thanks. UM and OSU are power college football programs, but to me that's just another regular season game, unless they meet in the NC game. I don't mind UM, but OSU fans are beyond annoying, especially considering it ISNT EVEN A PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAM. For some reason, I object to claiming an amateur athletic competition as being "The Rivalry".
Old 11-07-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea man, because a thread entitled "The Rivalry" shouldn't generate discussion as to what the best rivalry is, aside from the one suggested in the OP. Right...

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that the title of the thread is also the title of an HBO documentary, which the OP is talking about.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that the title of the thread is also the title of an HBO documentary, which the OP is talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you certainly would see why the discussion of other rivalries would come up right? Right? Threads are living things, that don't always go as intended, and it's easy to see how easily it can change direction. Which it did.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or am I thinking of The Game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Harvard v. Yale is "The Game."
Old 11-07-2007, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

to me that's just another regular season game, unless they meet in the NC game.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're pretty much everything that is wrong about fandom.

College sports is great because the majority of fans aren't terrible bandwagoneers like you and the rest of the Greater Boston area. You don't care about anything except the playoffs and think every season you don't win a championship is a failure.

You are why the mainstream media is so terrible, because they are giving you what you want to hear.