Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 11:14 PM

Default European comanies outsourcing to America?

Does anyone know how prevelant this is (or is becoming)? I have heard of it happening but haven't been able to find a good source to find these types of jobs and/or companies.

I'm thinking if I could find a European company that is willing to pay me my current salary (but in Euros instead of Dollars = a nice raise), as well as having the awesome 6+ weeks of vacation that Europeans get, it would be too sweet of deal to pass up.

Anyone have any idea on how to go about finding European companies that are hiring remote workers in the U.S.?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:21 PM

Default Re: European comanies outsourcing to America?

Unemployment is already ridiculously high in Europe; why would they outsource here?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unemployment is already ridiculously high in Europe; why would they outsource here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they can hire highly-skilled American workers for less Euros than their European counterpart. Thanks to the continously weakening dollar, this should only become more prevelant.

Same logic as outsourcing to India and other cheap labor countries, but in this case you would be looking more for a good deal on a highly skilled employee as opposed to just cheap labor (where the quality of work might be questionable or other cultural barriers might be too hard to overcome).
Old 11-05-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they can hire highly-skilled American workers for less Euros than their European counterpart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but the supply of labor is high in Europe (as evidenced by the unemployment rates) and it isn't high here. If there was excess demand for labor, we would have seen it. The currency fluctuations as of late aren't necessarily permanent; we don't know that the US dollar is going to tank for the next 30 years.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they can hire highly-skilled American workers for less Euros than their European counterpart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but the supply of labor is high in Europe (as evidenced by the unemployment rates) and it isn't high here. If there was excess demand for labor, we would have seen it. The currency fluctuations as of late aren't necessarily permanent; we don't know that the US dollar is going to tank for the next 30 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree -- I am just curious more than anything as to if others on these boards have heard anything about this. I have read a few articles over the last 6-12 months that try to make this sound like a growing trend. You definitely make some valid points to counter that.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:01 AM

The Europeans have been outsourcing here for awhile, since we are cheap labor just like Manila, et al is cheap labor for us. That's why there's a BMW and Mercedes plant here. That's why Siemens has so many sites here. But don't think you'll get paid in Euros or get European benefits, because part of the reason they're outsourcing here is to avoid those things.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Europeans have been outsourcing here for awhile, since we are cheap labor just like Manila, et al is cheap labor for us. That's why there's a BMW and Mercedes plant here. That's why Siemens has so many sites here. But don't think you'll get paid in Euros or get European benefits, because part of the reason they're outsourcing here is to avoid those things.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't really correct at all. "Cheap labor" isn't why they moved over here.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:13 AM

I was talking to my dad just moments ago about this subject.

My dad works in the tool and die industry. They had a German business owner come in to the company today looking to outsource here in America. The scenario was the company located in Germany has grown 30% each of the last 6 years and just can't keep up with demand so they have to outsource. Usually they'll stay within Germany but if they are doing work for American based company he said they can't outsource in Euro's and then sell to Americans and make a profit. However if he outsources to Dollars and then sells to Americans it's doable...
Old 11-06-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't really correct at all. "Cheap labor" isn't why they moved over here.

[/ QUOTE ]

The minimum wage in the UK is over $11 per hour. In the US it's under $6 per hour.

A few years ago when I called my UK bank, or other CS centre, I invariably spoke to a polite gentleman in Mumbai. I had to call my bank and credit card company last week and both times I spoke to an American woman.

I'm not sure about skilled or white-collar jobs being outsourced though.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:34 AM

For skilled jobs, Americans probably make more. I had a British roommate who was interning here, and he said it was the most he had ever made in his life, and thats just for being an intern. He had held real jobs in Britain.

For minimum wage jobs its likely a different story.