Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: The Well: TOO EAZY!

[ QUOTE ]
What was the most important change and / or improvement in your game that helped you become a better and more successfull poker player?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's sort of cliche and simple, but the first thing that comes to mind is bankroll management. I came to online poker after a few years of some serious live game success in the Boston area games, and I was horrible with money management (I was also underage/very young and obviously not super wise). It took me about a year to really recognize that I needed to follow strict plans in order to effectively utilize poker for income.

To give you a gameplay related answer, I would probably say recognizing situations where playing low pocket pairs or SC's from the blinds had negative expected value, there was a time where I played WAYYY too many hands from the blinds, and I think this is a common error you'll see "grinders" at the middle and low limits making.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What movie is the following line from:

"This [censored] is TOO easy."

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think it's in a few movies. But Half Baked is the first that came to mind oddly enough, although I'm sure this isn't the movie you're speaking of.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:42 PM

Probably cause you're drunk or extremely close to it?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's your poker history?

How many hands have you played at different levels and what level are you comfortably playing now ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You had to ask.

I started playing live .5/1 game in my neighborhood when I was 15 or so. My parents bought me a Hamper and a new lawnmower for my 12th birthday, and I had a job since about that time as well, so I always had some extra change. I was pretty much immediately a winner in the .5/1 game and it ran nightly so I was able to make about ~300/week on average probably on top of my job. I kept working through high school and eventually "Graduated" to the local 1/2 games.

This is around when I made my first deposit online probably in the fall of 2004. I was a breakeven/slight losing online player for the next year but didn't really feel the sting too much due to playing 4-5 nights a week in the live games. I worked as a lobsterman and work would start at 2-3am so I would sleep until about 9pm after my shift then play poker until my shift started. It was an ideal job for a live part time grinder in retrospect and in a weird way I thank lobstering for my drive and experience in poker.

Anyways after about a year of dinking around with heads up sng's online I got to reading 2p2 and liquidpoker extensively and decided to follow a strict BR Mgmt routine. I started with $300 and played $10-$20 heads up sng's until I had $700. I then proceeded to play 25nl full ring until I learned to 12 table effectively. I ran super hot at 50nl and was at 100nl about 2 months after starting at 25nl. At 100nl I switched to six max and played maybe 100k hands there before moving to 200nl six max. I played about 200k hands of 200nl six max and was constantly posting in LP/CR/2p2 forums and I really think that active participation accelerated my game quite a bit. Once I had 100k hands or so under my belt at 200nl (about a full year into Uni) I quit working a real job and grinded all the way up to 5/10. Once I had a working roll that allowed me to pay my student loans in bulk and restart with 8k for 200nl I did so, and at that time decided to go back to full ring under the presumption that I could get more hands/hr and this would compensate for the loss in ptbb. To my surprise my PTBB has been about congruent with my numbers from six max at every level up through 3/6. As of right now I play the 2/4 and 3/6 full ring games daily and don't plan on playing 5/10 until i have around 125k in the roll. I'm a huge bankroll nit and I think it has a lot to do with my success. I've always had a respect for the money but not an emotional attachment as I understand and value the products of hard work and know that if Poker doesn't work for me I can always find another way.

I also had a 60k hand breakeven stretch at one point which sort of taught me the ways of variance and further caused me to follow super nitty br mgmt. I play a really loose game so the variance can get rough.

Sorry for the novel, hopefully that covers it. I'd say lifetime I'm close to 750k hands online. With the bulk of them being at 1/2-3/6. (550k?)
Old 11-05-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably cause you're drunk or extremely close to it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, how did you get that impression?

Actually, I don't drink. I find it unproductive. I'll have two or three beers from time to time but it's pretty rare to see me drunk. Maybe a handful of times per year (like when the Pats win their annual super bowl). Most of that damage was done by the roommates at TS.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:45 PM

Who shot ya?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who shot ya?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never got blasted, only shanked once by some Latin King who was on way too much yip.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who shot ya?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never got blasted, only shanked once by some Latin King who was on way too much yip.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? TR plz...

And by yip I assume you mean yak?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:48 PM

full ring posters you wanna meet in person (other than me obviously)?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who shot ya?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What? TR plz...

And by yip I assume you mean yak?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what TR means. Yip = White = Snow = Yay = Yak = Powder = Boosters = Fuel etc. At least I think it was white, either way he was absolutely mental. Think the people from 28 days later and thats basically what he was like.