Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 01:01 PM

Default table selection

I wanna start practicing better table selection, but without a huge database or notes on all the regulars, what is best way to go about doing so? in other words, what are guys looking for when you are picking your tables? FWIW, i primarily play NL 100. thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Re: table selection

limping is a good sign
Old 10-30-2007, 02:06 PM

Don't sit with the decent regs.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:14 PM

I do it like this

I fire up one table after another and when AceHud stats apear and I see 1 or more players with full stack and over 40% vpip and low pfr% or other weird/exploitable stats I put myself on the waitlist for the table

when a seat gets open I sit down if I can have the fish 1 or 2 seats to my right

I leave a table when the fish go and look for a better one
Old 10-30-2007, 02:19 PM

IMO table selection isn't just picking which tables to sit at it's also standing up after an orbit or 2 if the table you've chosen isn't what you'd hoped.

After a week or so at a limit you should have a pretty decent idea of who all the regulars are. They'll mostly be on 4+ tables, mostly, so you'll see them more than everybody else and remember their names.

I don't bother looking at % to flop or avg pot because I just don't trust those numbers and table conditions can change very quickly.

I like to look for tables with 4 or 5 players, no more than 1 taggy regular unless there is a known spewtard there.

I look for tables with at least 2 full ish stacks and no more than 1 <20-30bb stack. If the stacks are all around 70-80bb I'll probably sit because most good players top up to 100bb. If everybody is around 50bb I probably wont bother.

When the HUD numbers for people I've got stats on appear I'll stand up straight away if there isn't at least 1 or 2 40-50+ vpiper. If I'm sat on the right of a 70/30 or somebody like that I'll consider leaving too because I hate not being able to steal blinds. Normally though I'll sit, play a few orbits and will soon know if the table is worth staying at.

Whenever one of the fish leaves I'll reassess whether it's worth staying at the table.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wanna start practicing better table selection, but without a huge database or notes on all the regulars, what is best way to go about doing so? in other words, what are guys looking for when you are picking your tables? FWIW, i primarily play NL 100. thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just don't play with me, and you should be good. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

No, seriously, get SpadeEye. It's only $30 I think, and it'll use your PT database to look at every table and it lets you know the stats of every player. It's well worth it.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:07 PM

Spadeeye better/worse than Sixth Sense?
Old 10-30-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Spadeeye better/worse than Sixth Sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never used sixth sense, but if I remember right, it costs money each month?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:36 PM

sorry for the bump

thanks for the replies guys.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:41 PM

on another note, there seems to be such a large player base for NL100 that finding the regulars isn't as easy as i thought it would be. right now i'm looking for a high plr/flp %. i don't use HUD because it slows my computer down. any other suggestions?

i also suppose it's bad to out the NL 100 regs??