Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 10-27-2007, 12:11 AM

Default preflop

30/20 opens in CO and 35/25 3-bets either otb or in sb. What hands, if any, do you cold call?

Obv to answer this question starts with just stoving the ranges but how much equity do you need to call and where do you start capping? What is difference btwn the 3-bettor being sb and button? fwiw i'm pretty sure i'm too tight here.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:13 AM

Default Re: preflop

Id never cold call anything. Also, there should be no difference between the 3 bet coming for the sb vs the 3 bet coming from the button.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:14 AM

idk, 88ish? KQs/AJs? How good is the 30/20? Like will he actually fold to a cap some percentage of the time?
Old 10-27-2007, 12:19 AM

advantages of calling in that spot:
- disguises your hand strength if you do it with a reasonable range (which you should in this spot given expected hand ranges from villains)
- you gain extra info about the original raisers hand
- if it doesn't get capped, you have good position to protect your hand on the flop
- if it does get capped, you effectively have the button (get to act after everyone)

disadvantages:
- having the original raise fold is usually a very good result for you
- miss a bit of equity when you are ahead of their ranges
- maybe some extra FE if you cap

I call here much more than I cap fwiw but that is vs LAGs with even wider ranges who never fold for 2 more. I don't play at tables with multiple LAGTAGs to my right
Old 10-27-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
idk, 88ish? KQs/AJs? How good is the 30/20? Like will he actually fold to a cap some percentage of the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

First answer the question assuming that everybody knows each other's stats and knows that they will play nearly perfectly vs. each other's ranges (except perhaps slight adjustments due to position).

Then you can make changes according to how you think they might react in real life.

In other words, the CO opener will not be folding very much. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2007, 12:28 AM

yourface,
what do you do with j8s, A7o, 33, k9o?
How about 55, A9o, qts, kjo?
Old 10-27-2007, 12:39 AM

vs the dumb LAGs I usually play with I would fold the first set and call the second set

messing around with stove a bit that first set is damn close though in terms of hot and cold equity. I should think about calling more hands when I have a significant postflop advantage
Old 10-27-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
vs the dumb LAGs I usually play with I would fold the first set and call the second set

messing around with stove a bit that first set is damn close though in terms of hot and cold equity. I should think about calling more hands when I have a significant postflop advantage

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i was thinking the first set was borderline call and second set borderline cap. but again this isn't what i do in real life. I am getting crushed last few days so it's hard to be objective.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:28 AM

I am assuming hero is BB?

I'd play

22, A7s, ATo, K9s, KQo, QTs, JTs

A'd cap monsters like 99+, AQo, AJs, KQs. Maybe KQo

I have no idea whether this is right. But its what I do.

I think there is some merit to just calling some hands as you get to see whether CO caps or not. This defines his range a bit more as he should be capping JJ+, AQs, AKo at the very least.

I call the low pp's for set value cuz Stox tells me to, so again to spare myself to defend the play. Take it up with him if you disagree on whether thats +EV.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I call the low pp's for set value cuz Stox tells me to, so again to spare myself to defend the play. Take it up with him if you disagree on whether thats +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

stox being great and all, i think we shouldn't quote him at every opportunity. i doubt he has more data on this than any other player with 300k+ hands.