Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 10-29-2007, 03:08 AM

Default Re: Deal values Facebook at at least 15 Billion Dollars

strass,
i was just stating that as a fact. how's wall street going? care to create a well sometime soon about the exp?

slowhabit,
I've used it for almost 4 years and not once have i clicked on an ad.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 PM

Just because you haven't clicked doesn't mean you haven't realized an impression. Some ad rates are by impressions not clicks. What if a Cheesy Gordita Crunch scrolled across your screen? Well I don't know about you but if its near lunch time, I'd be headed to Taco Bell. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2007, 12:15 PM

This is a pretty interesting post about Facebook from Markus Frind. He runs the free dating site, plentyoffish. His blog is pretty interesting because he is very open about his business.

http://plentyoffish.wordpress.com/20...oking-so-good/
Old 10-29-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because you haven't clicked doesn't mean you haven't realized an impression. Some ad rates are by impressions not clicks. What if a Cheesy Gordita Crunch scrolled across your screen? Well I don't know about you but if its near lunch time, I'd be headed to Taco Bell. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

but would u click it?

jk good point
Old 10-29-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but would u click it?

jk good point

[/ QUOTE ]

Most ad rates are valued by views, not click-throughs.

Jimbo
Old 10-29-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

but would u click it?

jk good point

[/ QUOTE ]

Most ad rates are valued by views, not click-throughs.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry but a large portion of my income has come from online advertsing over the past few years, and I have to disagree with you here. Maybe larger sites such as facebook or myspace work out favorable CPM deals, but a huge huge huge portion of online advertising is PPC or CPA. The only credible ad networks I have seen offering CPM do so with a scale, which is determined by how many people out of say a thousand views click through. CPM was to easy to defraud, and from what I gather has not been offered that much in the past few years. Please correct me if I am wrong though, because I would love to push a CPM program with a few smaller sites I am holding on to.

About this deal. I think MSFT has thought this deal out better than any of us could. They have access to a lot more data than we do, and if they are paying a premium for this small piece I am sure it is for a good reason. I doubt facebook as a whole (or based off just the profits it has made) is worth anywhere near 15 billion, however a company with the means to actually do something with all this data on all of these users (such as msft) it may be worth even more than that. Microsoft also gets exclusive ad rights, so that in and of itself is pretty [censored] sweet. Facebook will likely only get larger at this point (oddly enough I dont even use facebook), and MSFT will get at least 50% of the profits by serving the ads on facebook (not to mention some from their 1. whatever % chunk). This is like google buying youtube. They cornered the online video market, and secured 100% of the profits served by ads on youtube.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry but a large portion of my income has come from online advertsing over the past few years, and I have to disagree with you here. Maybe larger sites such as facebook or myspace work out favorable CPM deals, but a huge huge huge portion of online advertising is PPC or CPA. The only credible ad networks I have seen offering CPM do so with a scale, which is determined by how many people out of say a thousand views click through. CPM was to easy to defraud, and from what I gather has not been offered that much in the past few years. Please correct me if I am wrong though, because I would love to push a CPM program with a few smaller sites I am holding on to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I work for a private for-profit college in the Internet marketing department and many of the big places only do CPM deals. We got a quote from myspace 2 months ago and it would have been $40,000 for 12,000,000 impressions. Their lowest rate they offered was $2.20 CPM untargetted which is a joke for that site.

PPC is where it's at - we are on target to spend $200,000 on Google alone this year.