Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 04:41 AM

Default Extreme agression

Hey people,

Just a question to ask how the rest of you deal with the uber agressive people online. I played a guy last night who just couldnt not raise or call any raise from any position every single hand. Then bet every flop or call all the way to the river.

I re-raised him with QA hearts and he called UTG with J6 spades and flopped a flush on board of 2 7 Q (i lost monies)

Then i re-raised him with position with TT he called and i bet much more than the pot on a rainbow board of 4 4 5, he called the turn was a J and we both checked it down he showed KJ off. (getting more tilt like as game went on)

Finally i made a big raise with AK suited, he re-raised me (again) and i pushed it all in, he showed KK and i didnt spike an ace.

Now before you lot tell me i tilted which i know i did (any variation from my standard game is tilting?) I still believe he was quite possably one of the worst players ever, just so so lucky.

How do you guys play against super agression?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Extreme agression

From the way you describe it I am assuming this is cash game and not a tourney. Without chip stacks it is also difficult to see whether your bet sizes were ok. But on the face of it you were playing ok and he got lucky on the first two occasions. If he is that bad you would like him at your table every time.

Quite often such players will only call a raise. Therefore keeping the pot smaller by betting smaller can help. They tend not to re-raise but will bet big to a check. Obviously if you get a monster go for it. Suck outs are unfortunately a necessary evil against crazy players but long term you should be +EV.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:37 AM

Yeah cash play, he took like 2 buy ins from me.

Thing is i know hes a player i can beat, just running rediculously hot, i had to ask myself tho 'am i playing my a game here?'

(i tilted and moved up 2 limits and won quite a bit)

I obviously wont be tilting and moving up limits as a regular thing btw.

(although i more than tripled through in half an hour)
Old 10-22-2007, 10:52 AM

Post the hands, let's see them street-by-street for analysis!

Just from your comments, it sounds like you played fine. Against a guy who raises and shows down every hand, getting it in with Aces Queen kicker in a re-raised pot is a very good thing, as is getting it in pre-flop with AKs.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Post the hands, let's see them street-by-street for analysis!

[/ QUOTE ]

I only just got pokertracker the other night, still trying to learn how to use it properly! :>

lol
Old 10-22-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah cash play, he took like 2 buy ins from me.

Thing is i know hes a player i can beat, just running rediculously hot, i had to ask myself tho 'am i playing my a game here?'

[/ QUOTE ]

Players like that will run hot from time to time and you just have to accept it.

Just one thing and I know you know it already by your comments. NEVER move up to chase your losses - might have worked this time but it is a sure fire way to destroy your bankroll.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I keep telling myself that, yet I regularly seem to manage to make a progression from 25 NL to 400 NL to ????NL. So watch yourself, it can become addicting. I don't play for a living, I play for entertainment. My bad mind tells me that it's money I'm up, so go ahead and chase my losses.

For the aggression bit. It's easier to be the aggressive player. You are always putting the other person on the defensive. If they want to raise you, they are risking more of their chips that you don't have a hand. When I'm in an aggressive style, I don't mind when people play back at me. If they do, I only really need a hand approx. 1 out of 3 times or so to 'break' even. When they don't play back at me/fold, I win money.

There's not much you can do. If he's really killing you like this, tighten the screws a little bit. And value bet the heck out of him. Also note that he will float light, but not bet when he hits a card. So it seems that you can trust his raises post flop.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:44 AM

You weren't tilting? You got busted by an idiot, twice. You then moved up in limits to chase your losses. This is teh definition of tilt. You shoud have rebought again. This guy will give it all back, you want to be there when he does.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You weren't tilting? You got busted by an idiot, twice. You then moved up in limits to chase your losses. This is teh definition of tilt. You shoud have rebought again. This guy will give it all back, you want to be there when he does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive read the poker mindset so im aware of tilting, and im not really a tilter, i stay away from the chatbox and just try to concentrate on good decisions.

I admit on this occasion i tilted (i think we all do from time to time) I didnt rebuy for a 3rd time because he was running so hot!

Ive also made notes on him and his game, and hope to see him floating around soon so i can go sit to his left :>
Old 10-22-2007, 12:40 PM

The advantage players like villain have over guys like you, is that after 2-3 hands that deal you a bad beat to his, he can take advantage of it when he actually does get a hand- as evidenced by the 3rd hand you described.

My advice- chill. Poker isn't a battle of the egoes, there is no rule that says you have to win a hand vs. this guy. If you can't play back at him without getting sucked out on, don't raise pots into him. Sounds like he'd do the betting for you if you ever hit a hand.

The TT hand was fine, looks like you got your damage control right after the turn. Coulda been much worse for you.

The AQ hand- can't comment unless I know how you were betting postflop.