Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-15-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Going to Beliz

So I'm going to Beliz for a wedding March 3rd -10th...

Staying on the island of Ambergris Caye.

I have two days of diving scheduled (including one night dive).

I need suggestions on just about everything...

Cash I'll need to bring, tipping procedures, hot spots to meet women, local bars I need to visit, dive spots I should be requesting?????

Tentatively I'm thinking about staying at Captain Morgans, but if anyone can suggest a place nicer for the same price... or a not as nice for cheaper... I'm up for suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Going to Beliz

you've even posted in the travel forum before....
Old 10-15-2007, 02:36 PM

You're going to love Ambergris Caye. It's fantastic. I got married there. We stayed at a place called Victoria house, in general it's in the middle range I think, but the honeymoon suite was pretty fantastic.

Good place to eat if you want something gourmet. I don't know how it compares price-wise, my wife did all that stuff.

The only problem with Capt. Morgans and a few others is their distance from anything else, like the main 'downtown' area. For transportation there are two options. Boats (taxis) and golf carts that you rent. There are no other vehicles for tourists. Things may have changed, it's been about 5 years since I was there.

There was only one road to get from things down by capt. morgans back to the main area on the isle. If it has been raining much at all, that road becomes impassible for golf carts. You'll get very stuck if you try. Trust me on this, been there done that.

Captain Morgans and one other place down that way were the rockin places, but otherwise the whole Isle is very laid back. Bar hopping near downtown is fun. There was a semi-dive bar in an apartment complex called the Crazy Canuck's and it was hopin with a mix of tourists and locals.

If you have a half day to kill and like fishing, hire a guide and fish for baracuda inside the reef. Great fun and you'll get other fish too. This sort of trip usually includes a shore lunch where you eat your catch and the guide guys are great open pit cooks and of course know how to get you fish. We paired a fish trip like that with snorkeling at a place called Mexico Rocks, which was the best snorkling I've ever done. But as a scuba guy you will see much more at the atols and stuff I think.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:42 PM

For my money, Belize is way better than Beliz.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For my money, Belize is way better than Beliz.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-15-2007, 02:56 PM

yeah... I'm staying at Cpt. Morgans cause that's where the wedding party is staying an we are trying to stay together.

I think we are going to have a water taxi at our disposal. The bride is from there and her uncle owns a boat. Will this be adequate?
Old 10-15-2007, 03:03 PM

PM Los Beliz Slim. He runs a talent agency down there and probably has lots of sweet connections.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PM Los Beliz Slim. He runs a talent agency down there and probably has lots of sweet connections.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahah
Old 10-15-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think we are going to have a water taxi at our disposal. The bride is from there and her uncle owns a boat. Will this be adequate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that'll be great. We found getting a water taxi late at night hard sometimes, but that's because 1) we forgot to arrange for a late night return trip and 2) we weren't staying down the coast. I bet Capt. Morgans is fully covered with water transport for those that stay there.