Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 03:13 AM

Default Wrapping my brain around the difference in PC brands.

Shopping and browsing around for a new laptop. I travel a bit, so a desktop is out of the question if I want to work. The point is rather moot, but I know it is going to be brought up.

One PC costs say %600 brand new and another cost say $1500 brand new.

The components seem to be the same:

Duo Core/ Athlon 64
1 gig of ram
etc.

It seems that the more expensive ones have a more expensive Vista version, video card, and basically stuff I don't need, including 150g memory. Right now, I have 40g and use about 25%.

So, what is the difference between Acer, Dell, Gateway, Sony, HP, etc? If all of the components are the same, why does a 17" wide-screen Gateway cost less than a Sony 14" when they have identical specs of Duo Core with a 1G memory?

Are there other things I should be paying attention to when I am deciding which of 40-odd computers? What is a better brand to choose if they are similar priced? Is it all about the MoBo?

I presently own a Compaq, and I am comfortable using it. I used to own a Toshiba, and while I didn't mind it, it crashed on my pretty quick.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Wrapping my brain around the difference in PC brands.

Acer now owns gateway. Sony has a pretty good rep. HP and Compaq are the same company. the athlon processors do not compare to the core 2 duo or even most core duo processors.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:22 PM

Well, okay.

I was getting the impression that the more expensive computers have a million things I don't want or need. For example, why should I pay $100 more for a computer that has Norton's pre-installed when I am going to rip it out anyways?

Is there a real difference between PC 1 and 2? If I was to build my own computer (god help us all), and slap on a Dell sticker, the average Joe wouldn't know the difference. Would an expert see the difference?

The balance to be struck here, is to buy as top of the line as I can, but not waste $500 on upgraded stuff that makes no difference in my life. For sure, I would prefer to buy a Core2Duo. I see no reason to skimp in Processing Speed.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:21 PM

I'm behind on Brands so can't help you much there. I hate Dell due to a lot of bad experiences with their sales/support people, but other than that don't really have an opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
If all of the components are the same, why does a 17" wide-screen Gateway cost less than a Sony 14" when they have identical specs of Duo Core with a 1G memory?

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing to remember is that often with a laptop smaller and lighter is more expensive then bigger and heavier.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:36 AM

Meh. To a large extent you get what you pay for. Acer's are too cheap, Sony's too expensive. My last 3 Window's machines have been HP and if I get another one it will most likely be HP as well. If you want cheap buy cheap but don't be surprised if it craps out sooner than you'd hope.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:41 AM

IBM/Lenovo are pretty tight, I'd recommend them if you don't care about aesthetics as much.

I've had 2 dells and loved them both. You're overpaying if you don't get it at least 20-30% off.

I'd personally recommend a 15.4" WUXGA laptop from Dell or Lenovo.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:14 AM

I should add my Dell laptop has lasted really really well. I just don't find the frustration that I experience dealing with them worth any monetary savings I get. Its frustrating to me when I know what the problem is but I have to get through 3 or 4 incompetent tech people before they even begin to believe me. For example when I first got my laptop I installed a game and a couple of hours later I went to turn my computer back on and nothing happened. It was obviously a hardware problem because it wasn't even making it to the BIOS screens but I had to listen to some lady tell me to uninstall everything eight times because she couldn't get it through her thick skull what was actually happening.

I've probably wasted 10-15 hours of my life waiting on hold and talking to these idiots. Thats worth something to me too.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:38 AM

I did hear quite a few bad things about Dell. Not sure about them. Just the fact that they are the number 1 selling computer sort of turns me off.

Those Lenovos look alright.

Think Pad T 61 looks like it would be a nice balance.

As I said, I don't want to skimp on processing, but I don't want to double the price of this thing. Upgrade?

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7250 (2.0GHz 800MHz 2MBL2)
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300 (2.0GHz 800MHz 4MBL2)
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz 800MHz 4MBL2)
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7700 (2.4GHz 800MHz 4MBL2)
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7800 (2.6GHz 800MHz 4MBL2)

All total, it will go about 1K, not too shabby. Sort of remember the Dells going for about the same, but I don't think this came standard with a 1G memory.

Still undecided. This processing power thing is sort of what I was getting at in the OP. Is there going to be a noticeable difference here?
Old 10-12-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I did hear quite a few bad things about Dell. Not sure about them. Just the fact that they are the number 1 selling computer sort of turns me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that large, independent and diverse groups typically make excellent decisions, I would think that being the number 1 selling computer brand is a <u>good</u> thing.

[ QUOTE ]
As I said, I don't want to skimp on processing, but I don't want to double the price of this thing. Upgrade?

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7250 (2.0GHz 800MHz 2MBL2)
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300 (2.0GHz 800MHz 4MBL2)
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz 800MHz 4MBL2)
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7700 (2.4GHz 800MHz 4MBL2)
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7800 (2.6GHz 800MHz 4MBL2)

[/ QUOTE ]
If you can afford the faster processor, get it; you can't upgrade it later (compared with memory or hard disk etc. which can be replaced)

I suspect that if you're not regularly putting a heavy strain on your CPU, you'll get used to whatever you have.

If you are putting a big strain on your CPU (ie, running PT, PAHUD and a heap of tables and other bits and pieces) then I think it is definitely worth getting a better processor.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:29 PM

I created what I call the "Budweiser Mystery." Explain why a terrible beer is the best-selling. So, I normally don't trust popular opinion. Obviously a huge argument about over-all beer quality, importance to care, etc., can stem from this, but that just deviates from the point. Surely, customer satisfaction reigns supreme in the computer market. But, just because Dell sells better than Gateway doesn't convince me that Dell is better. I recently read review of Norton vs McAfee vs Zone security suites. The magazine even admitted that Zone was the best, but still suggested Norton for ease of use, although it was more expensive (I use AVG).

So, okay, on processor, I will go as high as I can afford. I think the most expensive is an extra 600 or so. I think I could hold off for an extra week or two if I decide on this.

EDIT: I am convinced that buying on-line is better. I think that Dell having an exclusivity, and a better over-all choice of what you are getting, makes it the most popular brand, so perhaps I should trust public opinion on this. I haven't researched this completely, but I imagine you could buy any computer custom made.

Thank you all.