Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-10-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Does anybody else dislike the Colbert Report???

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find that half the people I talk to who say they don't like the Colbert Report don't even understand the concept of the satire he applies to his show and don't understand that he is playing as a character.

[/ QUOTE ]lol

If you do understand it, I don't really see how he can not be funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

He can be lol funny, but I find the show tends to drag. I'll usually watch a few minutes of it each night, but will inevitably start flipping the channel around before the show is over.

I also find the interviews to be a little cringe-worthy at times. I realize that's what he's shooting for, but sometimes it seems a little too forced.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just find him obnoxious and boring, and half the show the "news" is just about himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's the point. He's satirizing the news shows of right-wing pundits, especially O'Reilly.

[/ QUOTE ]

He kind of is, but he's been going overboard with the book promotions. He may have crossed over.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:47 PM

Colbert Report is corny and boring.
Daily Show is pretty good.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:48 PM

The old Daily Show with Colbert + Carrell + Corddry was better than the current crop, but the current daily show is still quality TV. Some of the once per month things like Trendspotting or Back in Black can really be amazing, but these guys can't come up with the quality material day in day out that colbert or corddry did.

I find the interviews on the daily show to be interesting and relevant, and the interviews on the colbert report to be mostly unwatchable with a few good ones in between.

Colbert Report is much more hit and miss than the daily show in the pre-interview bits, but I find its overall quality to be good and perhaps equal to the daily show.

Either way I get more overall quality entertainment out of the Daily Show-Colbert Report hour than I did with just the old Daily Show, but it is a lot more hit or miss.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just find him obnoxious and boring, and half the show the "news" is just about himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's the point. He's satirizing the news shows of right-wing pundits, especially O'Reilly.

[/ QUOTE ]

He kind of is, but he's been going overboard with the book promotions. He may have crossed over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Colbert report is (obviously) much more character driven of a show than daily show and the bits like the broken wrist (and subsequent drug addiction), wrist-strong bracelet and his book are all great little character bits that are the heart of the self-promoting pundit on TV.

But behind everything he is does is positive, his bracelet funds veterans, his book just helps push the idea that pundits are morons, etc. Its a direct inverse to all the other pundits who push worthless books with their own biased and hateful ideas and leech stories from well liked groups for veterans, instead of donating much needed money to them.

It is fine if you don't like the show and I admit it has its faults, but I would accuse it of "crossing over." He has a very clear message and something he wants his viewers to understand and he does a very good job of getting it across.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:00 AM

Colbert pretty much sucks for the most part. "The Word" is unwatchable. His interviews are usually unwatchable unless the guest is talking about something I'm interested in like global warming or building robots. He yammers on too much about his book/wrist/ice cream. His second segment skits are tolerable sometimes, "Threat Down" is decent and "Tip of the Hat, Wag of the Finger" isn't too bad. "Cheating Death" is retarded.

Having said all that, "Better know a district" is one of the best things on TV and I watch Colbert every night just to see this once in a blue moon event. Actually, I haven't seen this segment in months, perhaps he isn't doing it anymore. If thats the case then The Colbert Report won't be making it on the TIVO anymore.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:14 AM

he's funny, but relies on props too much when just words will do. and colberts best bit "the word" is eerily similar to kevin nealons "mr. subliminal" when he did weekend update on snl. fyi kevins was better.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:23 AM

i used to really like the daily show, but if you pay attention, he just does the same thing over and over again.
no one can be in that sort of goofy fun mood every day and all his jokes repeat the same facial expressions
Old 10-11-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he's funny, but relies on props too much when just words will do. and colberts best bit "the word" is eerily similar to kevin nealons "mr. subliminal" when he did weekend update on snl. fyi kevins was better.

[/ QUOTE ]

you really think he stole this bit from kevin nealon, and not from o'reilly etc. who have summarizing points beside them on the TV during their monologues? who says kevin nealon didn't steal this bit from wendy liebman, whose stand-up act is basically mr. subliminal?

colbert is awesome. sometimes the interviews are awful/uninteresting/obvious where colbert will take it, but i dislike interviews on almost any show. i haven't watched the daily show regularly in a long time - i can't imagine it comes close to colbert. the threat-down, colbert platinum, tip of the hat, wag of the finger, formidable opponent - they're brilliant. i think it's really difficult to come up with that much good material on a daily basis, so i don't blame them for overdoing the book/wrist stuff.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:33 AM

"Better know a district" is great, everything else is just ok.