Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]

I've heard rumors of Wang, Kennedy and Melky. That's a lot for a guy who just might come for free next year. I'm not saying its too much for Santana. I'm just saying if he's going to be a FA next year....

Also, I don't think there's much of a market for Damon, Abreu or Matsui right now. And they prob won't make sense for the money we'd have to pay them to leave.

Also, your "Make Giambi god at 1b" is awesomely funny. I don't think its quite that simple though [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Also, what exactly do you think its going to take to sign A Jones? Too much, probably.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that rumor was really accurate, honestly. That's far too much to pay for one year.

And they will have to eat contract with Damon, obv, but they can get some decent prospects, I think.

The "make Giambi good at first" comment was a joke. I should have made that more obvious. I still think he should start at first. The difference between his defensive liability and offensive prowess is much greater than the difference between Malphabet's offensive liabilities and his defensive prowess.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that rumor was really accurate, honestly. That's far too much to pay for one year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't either, but if Santana is going to be traded this offseason, he's going to be very expensive and 1-2 of the pitchers in your list will no longer be on the team if something goes down.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't either, but if Santana is going to be traded this offseason, he's going to be very expensive and 1-2 of the pitchers in your list will no longer be on the team if something goes down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think Wang and Kennedy could be.

As for Andruw Jones, I think a 5-6 year contract worth 16-18 a year could do it. This past year made him cheaper. I could also be out of my mind.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is what the Yankees need to do:

1. Sign Andruw Jones. Just do it. Give him his money. Failing that, for whatever reason, get Hunter or Rowand, in that order of priority.NO...he'll be waay overpriced and may keep sucking

2. Trade for Santana and sign him to a 6-7 year contract extension at 22ish/yr. he'll cost to much

3. Trade either Damon, Matsui, or Abreu... in that order of priority. Then start Melky/Jones in center or left, with Matsui or Abreu in right, and the other DHing. Expect to eat salary in any trade except with Abreu. Trade Damon and eat 1/2 his salary if u have too.

4. Make Giambi decent enough at first that you can start him there. If you can't start Giambi at first, then he should be your priority DH. Will never happen...just make him the perm DH

5. Start Betemit at 3B. Please don't get Crede, he sucks. Same with Beltre. Lowell will demand way too much money and is going to go downhill real fast. agree

6. Resign Rivera and Posada. This is an absolute must on both accounts. There is no better catcher available and Mo is... well, Mo. already done

This gives you a lineup of:

(DISCLAIMER: This is not how I would order the lineup, but this is how I anticipate they will roughly order the lineup- - obv i expect adjustments to be made to have a L/R/L/R order).

1. Melky CF/LF
2. Jeter SS
3. Abreu RF
4. Jones LF/CF
5. Giambi 1B
6. Posada C
7. Matsui DH
8. Cano 2B (if Cano really starts to improve, obv he needs to jump Matsui in the lineup)
9. Betemit 3B

Keep Doug Malphabet around to be a defensive replacement late game for Giambi. Shelley Duncan remains a solid bench option.

With all these moves intact, the starting rotation is still up in the air. CMW may be traded, possibly in a deal for Santana. Kennedy could also move. Pettitte might not pick up his option. Here are some of the possible starting fives:

Santana, Wang, Pettitte, Mussina, Hughes/Joba (if Mussina starts so suck again, obv Joba is in)

Santana, Pettite, Mussina, Hughes, Joba

Santana, Wang, Mussina, Hughes, Joba

Santana, Mussina, Hughes, Joba, Kennedy/one of the other billion young pitchers in the farm system

Assuming the Yankees don't get Santana:

Wang, Pettitte, Hughes, Joba, Mussina

Wang, Hughes, Joba, Mussina, Kennedy/billion prospects

They could also move Igawa for Cla Meredith. That would be baller.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep Andy
Keep Moose
Keep Ian
Keep Joba
Keep Hughes
Keep Abreu

Don't trade for Santana
Trade Igawa
Old 10-29-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Sign Andruw Jones. Just do it. Give him his money. Failing that, for whatever reason, get Hunter or Rowand, in that order of priority.

2. Trade for Santana and sign him to a 6-7 year contract extension at 22ish/yr.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I don't even have to give any reasons why it is a bad idea to "just give the money" to an overrated declining FA. I mean seriously, have we not been to this movie before.
2. The reasons why trading for santana is a bad idea have been laid out thoroughly. It is just dumb to trade cheap young premium players for an super expensive player who they would have a chance to sign in free agency anyway.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is what the Yankees need to do:

1. Sign Andruw Jones. Just do it. Give him his money. Failing that, for whatever reason, get Hunter or Rowand, in that order of priority.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh god, no. nononono.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no

[ QUOTE ]
3. Trade either Damon, Matsui, or Abreu... in that order of priority. Then start Melky/Jones in center or left, with Matsui or Abreu in right, and the other DHing. Expect to eat salary in any trade except with Abreu.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one wants Matsui or Damon. The Yankees will have to eat too much salary to make that worthwhile, plus Melky isn't barely a positive VORP corner outfielder.

[ QUOTE ]
4. Make Giambi decent enough at first that you can start him there. If you can't start Giambi at first, then he should be your priority DH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Giambi had a terrible season and he'd be my first player to trade. He is an injury prone DH - how worthless. His days of playing first base are over.

[ QUOTE ]
5. Start Betemit at 3B. Please don't get Crede, he sucks. Same with Beltre. Lowell will demand way too much money and is going to go downhill real fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, but this sucks. Betemit is not very good.

[ QUOTE ]
6. Resign Rivera and Posada. This is an absolute must on both accounts. There is no better catcher available and Mo is... well, Mo.

[/ QUOTE ]

ldo

[ QUOTE ]
This gives you a lineup of:

(DISCLAIMER: This is not how I would order the lineup, but this is how I anticipate they will roughly order the lineup- - obv i expect adjustments to be made to have a L/R/L/R order).

1. Melky CF/LF
2. Jeter SS
3. Abreu RF
4. Jones LF/CF
5. Giambi 1B
6. Posada C
7. Matsui DH
8. Cano 2B (if Cano really starts to improve, obv he needs to jump Matsui in the lineup)
9. Betemit 3B

[/ QUOTE ]

Cano is probably going to be a better hitter than everyone you've listed above him. Giambi is finished, Posada will come back to earth - if Cano can hit .300/.350/.500 or thereabouts, he'll sadly be better than the rest of the lineup.

[ QUOTE ]
Keep Doug Malphabet around to be a defensive replacement late game for Giambi. Shelley Duncan remains a solid bench option.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yankees need a real 1B - it is not going to be Jason Giambi. Sadly I think it will be Mzyzycyz.

As for your last stuff on pitchers - if Joba is 4th in the rotation, they may as well keep him in the bullpen another year. I don't know what they'd have to offer to get Santana, but my guess is that it includes either Hughes or Chamberlain - CMW is a terrible fit for Minnesota. Oh, and Igawa for Meredith was pure sportstalk drivel.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think Wang and Kennedy could be.

As for Andruw Jones, I think a 5-6 year contract worth 16-18 a year could do it. This past year made him cheaper. I could also be out of my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jones OBP over the last 5 years:

03- .338
04- .345
05- .347
06- .363
07- .311

And we are supposed to sign him for a big contract during 6 years where he is declining. Paying him 18 mil when he is 35 and 36 sure will be fun to watch. Im pretty sure ive never made a post in caps before BUT THAT IS THE STUPIDEST IDEA I HAVE EVER HEARD. THIS TEAM HAS MADE THIS MISTAKE SO MANY TIMES BEFORE WHY WOULD YOU EVER WANT TO DO IT AGAIN.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:47 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

LOL reasons 1 and 2 are like EXACTLY why the yankees are where they are right now. LETS SIGN THIS 30 YEAR OLD WHO IS STARTING TO SUCK LONG TERM FOR LOTS OF CASHOLA!.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:50 PM

Sign Schilling then trade him to the Devil Rays for nothing
Old 10-29-2007, 04:52 PM

Karak,

There appears to be two ways to operate the Yankees after ARod opted out.

1. Acquire high profile free agents, trade for big names, trying to remain competitive to compensate the loss of ARod
2. Rebuilding process with youth and continue building the farm, avoid overpaying free agents

I feel like ARod leaving means we should definitely go the latter option. I know BP suggests that given we are now on the playoff border, each FA is relatively worth more to us. But the quality of the players on the market is not good at all, and signing them to big deals would just make us have more Giambis and Damons to deal with.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally don't want any of these guys. Both Andruw and Hunter will be grossly overpaid. Andruw Jones' 2007 VORP was 5.4 (!!) and his defense is average from my understanding. Obviously we'd expect some regression back to his past performance, but given his aging and how much money he will demand, it's not worth it. Hunter had a contract year and his VORP was still only 39.2. I would expect a huge drop off and overall decline given his age.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the Yanks will probably not be too competitive next year, I am now fully in support of waiting the one year and trying to acquire him as a FA. If you look at the Yanks, our true bargain players are the young ones (Cano, Melky, Hughes, Joba, Kennedy, Wang, etc.). I don't you can point to a single > 27 yo player who is actually worth what he is getting. We would probably need to give up 3 of our bargain players to overpay for the best pitcher in MLB.

[ QUOTE ]
3. Trade either Damon, Matsui, or Abreu... in that order of priority. Then start Melky/Jones in center or left, with Matsui or Abreu in right, and the other DHing. Expect to eat salary in any trade except with Abreu.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we can get some good prospects, that should be fine. But I think these guys are all okay to have on the team, and all their contracts expire over the next two years.

[ QUOTE ]
4. Make Giambi decent enough at first that you can start him there. If you can't start Giambi at first, then he should be your priority DH.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to start Giambi at 1B/DH and am not sure why we cannot.

[ QUOTE ]
5. Start Betemit at 3B. Please don't get Crede, he sucks. Same with Beltre. Lowell will demand way too much money and is going to go downhill real fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[ QUOTE ]
6. Resign Rivera and Posada. This is an absolute must on both accounts. There is no better catcher available and Mo is... well, Mo.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a Yankees fan, I want both of these guys resigned. But as a baseball GM, it doesn't make sense at all to sign either of them to the 3-4 years and 13m per they will command as FAs.

I think ARod opting out may not be too bad an outcome for the Yankees because 30m over 8 years is grossly overpaying for him. If his 2007 season was similar to 2006, would there be any talk of such an extension? Absolutely not.

I am hoping the Yanks go towards a rebuilding process right now and avoid signing the high profile FAs to multi year, overpaid contracts.