Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 05:52 PM

Default IWTSTH karma cooler

I just joined this 1/2 table at Foxwoods last night.

There is a 600 dollar pot at showdown. A man shows down AK for top two pair. Woman mucks her hand and walks away. After she has left the table, the man states he wants to see what she had.

The cards are not in the muck, so they are still retrievable. He turns over QJ for broadway! There is an argument between one of the regulars there with the man who won the pot, and the floor is called by the dealer.

The floor comes over and the man argues for several minutes about how her hand was in the muck, and fails to realize how he hung himself. I couldn't stop from laughing.

The chips are put into a ziplock back at this point, and he sits out and waits for a decision on if they will be awarded to him pending she is not still in the poker room. He sat out for at least an hour, not sure if he ever got them because I got transferred to another table 1 hour later.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Re: IWTSTH karma cooler

The ultimate argument for never asking.

Nice story. I hope she got the money.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just joined this 1/2 table at Foxwoods last night.

There is a 600 dollar pot at showdown. A man shows down AK for top two pair. Woman mucks her hand and walks away. After she has left the table, the man states he wants to see what she had.

The cards are not in the muck, so they are still retrievable. He turns over QJ for broadway! There is an argument between one of the regulars there with the man who won the pot, and the floor is called by the dealer.

The floor comes over and the man argues for several minutes about how her hand was in the muck, and fails to realize how he hung himself. I couldn't stop from laughing.

The chips are put into a ziplock back at this point, and he sits out and waits for a decision on if they will be awarded to him pending she is not still in the poker room. He sat out for at least an hour, not sure if he ever got them because I got transferred to another table 1 hour later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah! I hope he ended up getting nothing.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:48 PM

The dealer should always kill a hand before showing.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nonsense. Dealer doesn't kill the hand if the winner of the pot asks. If anyone else at the table asks, then the hand is killed -- that way it doesn't affect the winner of the pot. In OP's situation, the guy got what was coming to him for being a jerk and asking to see the losing hand of a player who just busted and left the table.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:33 PM

If I was at the table I would have sprinted to the parking lot looking for the lady.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] If the "winner" of the hand asks to see the losing hand the hand is live.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] If the "winner" of the hand asks to see the losing hand the hand is live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if the dealer taps the cards on the "magical muck".

Conversely, if a 3rd player asks to see the hand, and the dealer fails to "kill the hand" via the "magical muck tap tap", it is still dead.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Let me be the third to say. If the winner wants to see the losing had, it remains live.

Couple of weeks ago.
Player A tables his hand, Player B tosses hand face down, I'm dragging it to the muck
and A says "I want to see that hand". I stop short of the muck and flip them up.
"It's a Flush." I muck A's hand and push pot to B.
Player A opens his mouth but doesn't say a word.

Dealer doesn't crack a smile, but has a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:18 PM

Default i\'ll tell ya what i would do / a newly emerging rule

When the presumed winner wants to see a conceded hand, that hand should be turned over LIVE. In addition, I would rule that hand be turned over live even if it had already touched the muck. I'd also save those chips until she came back, or until they eventually had to be declared abandoned or whatever per room policy, but he wuld NOT get those chips. Finally, I'd of course kick him in the nuts.

A couple rooms have now moved to only allowing one usage of IWTSTH per player per dealer, anything beyond that is abuse. It's not perfect but it's a start.

Al