Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 11:59 PM

Default Inducing river bluffs

Sick of giving advice when i mostly suck at holdem so let me see what i can squeeze out of yall:

I used to think the whole inducing river bluffs thing was something weak/tight live nits used cuz they were afraid of getting bluff-raised.

However, recently I've changed my mind when it comes to playing certain fish and now I'm wondering what else i might be missing. Can people produce hands where they think this concept was applied correctly? Incorrectly?

To be clear, I am talking about situations where you are oop and have initiative on the river but choose to c/c.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Inducing river bluffs

Not sure if this is correct/incorrect play but yesterday on $2/4:

Folded to laggy SB raises, I re-raise QQ from BB
flop: A93 check-bet-call
turn: A93-9 check-check
river A93-9-T bet-call

Don't know if this was correct, but I'd rather villain thought I had nothing than attempt a c/raise on the turn which (against this LAG) I'd probably have to call down.

If I bet that turn, I'd be raised by hands I'm behind and probably fold out hands I'm ahead. I chose to try to get him to bluff the river so I can gain an extra bet (or bet his better hand so I lose less when behind).
Old 09-10-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if this is correct/incorrect play but yesterday on $2/4:

Folded to laggy SB raises, I re-raise QQ from BB
flop: A93 check-bet-call
turn: A93-9 check-check
river A93-9-T bet-call

Don't know if this was correct, but I'd rather villain thought I had nothing than attempt a c/raise on the turn which (against this LAG) I'd probably have to call down.

If I bet that turn, I'd be raised by hands I'm behind and probably fold out hands I'm ahead. I chose to try to get him to bluff the river so I can gain an extra bet (or bet his better hand so I lose less when behind).

[/ QUOTE ]

kimchi,
shoot. i didn't make it clear in my OP. This is not what I meant. I mean you have initiative on river but choose to give it up to induce a bluff. lemme see if I can ammend my OP.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:02 AM

vs. aggressive opponent who isn't likely to call down with a mediocre made hand, if you have been betting a hand like TP on F & T, and they have been calling on a draw heavy board, and no draw gets there on the river, then they probably won't pay off another bet on the river if their draw missed and you bet out, but they might bet the river as a bluff if you check.

Preflop (Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])
villian open raises from C/O; hero in SB 3-bets

Flop (K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])
Hero bets, villain calls (or Hero bets, villain raises, Hero 3-bets, villain calls)

Turn (3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])
Hero bets, villain calls

River (4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])

vs passive calling station who maybe is calling down with KT or A8, value bet this.

vs someone you think is on a draw and unlikely just calling with a made hand and not going to call another bet, checking to induce a bluff is good
Old 09-10-2007, 02:00 AM

Absolute Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 folds, Button calls, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6SB, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3BB, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 7BB
<font color="#ffffff">Button Shows Jc 8s</font>
<font color="#ffffff">Hero Shows 10d Kh</font>

i c/c because his range is pretty much straight draws and flush draws on the turn and my hand is not well defined.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:36 AM

miles,
this is exactly the kind of hand I've been noticing works well. I take it that this button-limper is hi vpip, low af?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:38 AM

looking at pt... ~45/10/1 over 37 hands.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
vs. aggressive opponent who isn't likely to call down with a mediocre made hand, if you have been betting a hand like TP on F &amp; T, and they have been calling on a draw heavy board, and no draw gets there on the river, then they probably won't pay off another bet on the river if their draw missed and you bet out, but they might bet the river as a bluff if you check.

Preflop (Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])
villian open raises from C/O; hero in SB 3-bets

Flop (K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])
Hero bets, villain calls (or Hero bets, villain raises, Hero 3-bets, villain calls)

Turn (3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])
Hero bets, villain calls

River (4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])

vs passive calling station who maybe is calling down with KT or A8, value bet this.

vs someone you think is on a draw and unlikely just calling with a made hand and not going to call another bet, checking to induce a bluff is good

[/ QUOTE ]

gregorio,
thank you, this is not a spot I've ever considered...maybe others can help us decide if this is +ev. btw, i think you can raise the river if he bets.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
looking at pt... ~45/10/1 over 37 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah those are the right stats i think. any other situations you can think of?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:59 AM

Try to hand read at all stages of the hand.

If a loose player who isnt a spew monkey, but is agressive calls the flop and the turn, think about the action and the board.

Some common spots to induce bluffs on the river are when a third flush card comes on the turn, as well as there being a few one card gutshots..

If they will sometimes take the bait, think of the % of their range that is composed of draws vs possible made hands.

On boards such as the one above, I often check/call lowpairs + Ace high..
If my hand is good and the opponent is right I often check/raise.

There are two connecting boards which screams I CAN HAVE A DRAW
T9xxx with no QJ8 on it
or 89xxx with no JT7 on it.

I routinely call down KQ on the first board and QJ on the second.