Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-09-2007, 10:20 PM

Default Re: My DUI Story

[ QUOTE ]
That wasn't intimidation, that was you being stupid, but still lucid enough to talk your way out of trouble. On that count, at least, well played.

[/ QUOTE ]

In most states if you refuse the standard sobriety tests and breathalyzer you lose your license automatically. Even if you subsequently get found innocent of DUI you still lose your license for something like 6 months for refusing the tests.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:21 PM

So far I've gotten "you are an idiot for handling this the way you did because you weren't over" and "you're an idiot for driving when so drunk." I think OOT has had enough "OMG drunk driving you are horrible" posts. I was sharing my experience because this is a situation many people here seem to find themselves in, for better or worse.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:24 PM

There is an automatic license suspension, but that was dismissed in my case because the police officer did not list any probable cause for the stop on the ALS (administrative license suspension) form. I was therefore left with only the DUI charge. Regardless, the resolution of the DUI charge cancels any suspension that results from refusing the tests under the theory that being punished for both refusing and DUI would be double jepoardy.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:26 PM

Sweet. I know people that have gotten off the DUI but never had the suspension dropped. Well played... (Except for driving in the first place.)
Old 09-09-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The 7 beers were over a good 5-6 hour period and I am 215 pounds

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true than there is absolutely 0% chance you would blow over .05 let alone legal limit, which makes me think either you are lying about the particulars and/or completely retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coming from someone who rarely drinks anymore (and also at about 215 pounds) I think this amount of alcohol has a good potential for making me blow over .08.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The 7 beers were over a good 5-6 hour period and I am 215 pounds

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true than there is absolutely 0% chance you would blow over .05 let alone legal limit, which makes me think either you are lying about the particulars and/or completely retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this is that at least in my state (FL) there is no onsite breathalyzer. In order to blow, you have to go to the station, and in order to go to the station, you have to be arrested. And once you're arrested, you're being booked on DUI ..REGARDLESS of what you blow. I don't know how this works in other states, but I have many friends in Florida who have been booked on DUI after blowing 0.00 and all of them had to spend cash on a lawyer to get the charges dropped. I'm not a fan of drunk driving, but I find this to be pretty ridiculous. I would never comply with either the field sobriety/breathalyzer in the state of Florida because once the cop has made HIS mind, that's all that matters as far as you getting charged with DUI.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

was teh security guard hired by the bar? if so Id assume thats grounds for a huge lawsuit against the bar.

[/ QUOTE ]

under what statute?

[/ QUOTE ]

dram shop laws and mental anguish? im really not sure, obv

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you at least explain your rationale as to why you see a huge lawsuit here? I can't fathom how you made this leap and am curious.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Can you at least explain your rationale as to why you see a huge lawsuit here? I can't fathom how you made this leap and am curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

if the guard is employed by the bar, calling the police is an acknowledgment that they knowing served him enough to impair him, did not cut him off or try and call him a cab.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:44 PM

Would it just be ridiculously dumb to do the field sobriety tests? Say you think your prob somewhat over the limit but able to perform the tests very well. If the cop knows youve been drinking will he just say u fail even if you do fine?
Old 09-09-2007, 10:46 PM

Pretty much everything they ask you to do or say is just to build a case against you.