Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

View Poll Results: Who here has actually had AA beat all-in preflop?
Once 6 5.71%
I fucked your sister 43 40.95%
And your mom, too 56 53.33%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 01:28 PM

Default September\'s Bells and Schools Thread

It's that time of the year. Hope everyone (the Americans at least) enjoys their Labor Day weekend.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:27 PM

Default Re: September\'s Bells and Schools Thread

How bad is the word "retarded" when used in real life and not on a message board? Does anyone use this word in their daily vocabulary?
Old 09-03-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How bad is the word "retarded" when used in real life and not on a message board? Does anyone use this word in their daily vocabulary?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not terribly appropriate especially if referring to a person. Not a word that I use often and more to describe something that I am frustrated with, i.e trying to open that retarded packaging, clamshell packaging I believe it is called.
I am curious why you are asking.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's that time of the year. Hope everyone (the Americans at least) enjoys their Labor Day weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cannot wait for the weekend to end because my kids go back to school!! Yay!!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Utah is traveling for a few weeks so I get so well deserved "me" time. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the company. Perfectly fine in some places, but worse than Hitler in others. Most bothersome thing about using it is that you never know when someone has that problem in their family themselves. This is why I don't like rape jokes much and try to be really careful about making them. I can't get behind "feeling" the retard one nearly so much, though, and I've known plenty(used to be a teacher's aide for a class full, etc.) It just seems to be constructed very, very differently. But lots of people don't care about fine points, and others prize political correctness quite a bit, sometimes very aggressively so.

So, since you never know who you're with, while I don't think using this word is bad, it's probably wiser just to find some other way to say something along the same line. Although, of course, calling someone an idiot is probably offensive to idiots or people who have idiots in their families, or are married to one, etc. *sigh*
Old 09-03-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember the Office episode about this? Pure hilarity. Michael explains "I would never call a retarded person a retard. A retard is what you call your friends when they are acting retarded!"

I have no problem with using "retarded" myself but I don't use it much if at all.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the company. Perfectly fine in some places, but worse than Hitler in others. Most bothersome thing about using it is that you never know when someone has that problem in their family themselves. This is why I don't like rape jokes much and try to be really careful about making them. I can't get behind "feeling" the retard one nearly so much, though, and I've known plenty(used to be a teacher's aide for a class full, etc.) It just seems to be constructed very, very differently. But lots of people don't care about fine points, and others prize political correctness quite a bit, sometimes very aggressively so.

So, since you never know who you're with, while I don't think using this word is bad, it's probably wiser just to find some other way to say something along the same line. Although, of course, calling someone an idiot is probably offensive to idiots or people who have idiots in their families, or are married to one, etc. *sigh*

[/ QUOTE ]

So much to respond to.
I have a retarded sister. I pretty much just ignore people who use the term. I write them off as ignorant, thoughtless and rude, probably just a few I. Q. points above retarded.
I have a close acquaintance who was raped. I find the use of the word to describe winning at a poker table unsettling. It is a harsh and violent word. Someone once argued that saying "killing the table" was violent too. Some how that is not as offensive to me. I wonder if "killing the table" at a card game in a war zone where your buddy was killed would be deemed offensive?
And to political correctness. I think it is actually a call to speak accurately and in a civilized manner. It seems those who don't like PC language are usually upset that they can't express their bias's, prejudices and phobias in the crude manner they are used to. It is easier to make a point using using emotionally charged words than words that are accurate and civilized.
It is a long road. But when was the last time you heard the word niggger?
Old 09-03-2007, 05:58 PM

When I hear somebody call a person a retard, I defend the so called retarded person by calling the agitator a drater (look closely). They then look at me like im the idiot and quietly walk away. I defend the honor of everyone everywhere.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:25 PM

Sounds like: 1) exhausting; 2) too easy to be self-righteously smug and incredibly passive-aggressive about. The former is an individual choice, but the latter strike me as by turns much worse and much more purposefully offensive than what they are ostensibly commenting on.

And I say ostensibly, because I think the point of politically correct scolding is so very often much more about the now distressfully socially acceptable release of amorphous rage than about making a point worth hearing. Frankly, the politically correct people I see manifesting it on hapless others are often among the least evolved, most hypocritical douchebags I've known.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So much to respond to.
I have a retarded sister. I pretty much just ignore people who use the term. I write them off as ignorant, thoughtless and rude, probably just a few I. Q. points above retarded.
I have a close acquaintance who was raped. I find the use of the word to describe winning at a poker table unsettling. It is a harsh and violent word. Someone once argued that saying "killing the table" was violent too. Some how that is not as offensive to me. I wonder if "killing the table" at a card game in a war zone where your buddy was killed would be deemed offensive?
And to political correctness. I think it is actually a call to speak accurately and in a civilized manner. It seems those who don't like PC language are usually upset that they can't express their bias's, prejudices and phobias in the crude manner they are used to. It is easier to make a point using using emotionally charged words than words that are accurate and civilized.
It is a long road. But when was the last time you heard the word niggger?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little confused. You consider people who use the word retarded in certain contexts ignorant, same with people who use rape. You know someone who is mentally retarded and someone who has been raped. And you wonder why the term "killing" the table doesn't bother you? Seriously?

Honestly, the term "killing" is so commonly used outside of the realm of killing that it loses a lot of power. The thing is, the same goes for the word retarded.
Closed Thread