Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: Did you like that nearly everyone had some night chat?
(Good Roles) Yes 9 50.00%
(Good Roles) No 4 22.22%
(Evil Roles) Yes 2 11.11%
(Evil Roles) No 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2007, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Photo radar & speed cameras: Are they in your town? (pic)

We've got the camera that snaps a shot of the intersection after every red light (at certain intersections...maybe 2% of them in the whole city...main ones)

I hate them. It's distracting seeing a flash go off, and I've already noticed it's made me drive less safe by stopping quickly on a yellow/red I'd otherwise roll through, causing nobody harm. Especially when the road is wet. Supposedly it captures your license plate and just mails you a bill. Effed up, man.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:05 AM

Last time I was in Perth, Australia, (which was over five years ago), there were 450 speed cameras for a million and a half inhabitants. We've had the red light cameras since about 1985 or something.

One of the reasons that I don't live there anymore.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:56 AM

I don't mind them. We have tons where I live and I have never got a ticket, and I speed pretty much all the time. They are easy to spot IMO. I've never had a problem with a redlight camera but I also don't run red lights. FWIW the cameras in my hood take two pictures, you have to be seen entering the intersection on a red light to get a ticket. Pretty easy to avoid.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:59 AM

I'm in favor of the red-light cameras. In Los Angeles it's a pretty good idea to wait three seconds after your light turns green because it's likely some douchebag is going to plow through the intersection. Sometimes they even honk, like "Lookout, here I come!" In fact, I'd be OK if they had lasers on the tops of poles that just vaporized those [censored] on sight.

The speeding ones sound like a worse idea, but that's probably because I speed. Yeah, I guess I approve of these too. Driving rules exist for a reason, I think everybody should just follow the same rules.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:56 AM

A few of the intersections in Beaverton have them. We also have the police radar vans.

I do find the notion of a camera enforcing the law somewhat disturbing, but these things seem to be a major deterent for people running red lights, so thats a good thing.

I would be happy if they installed these things, detered people because of their presence, but were secretly turned off.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:17 AM

This might be a rumor, but I heard that some states were trying to figure out a way that they can give people who use EZ PASS speeding tickets based on the amount of time between toll plazas. So if you take the speed limit multiplied by the distance and you make it there sooner, they know you must have been speeding.

I would be fine with these cameras if they put a high threshold, like way above the speed limit, so that you're only getting the dangerous speeders. Obviously, with an automated system, you could just be getting everyone that goes over, but I think like 20-25 over might make sense.

I drive 15mph over on pretty much every road, but thats consistent with what everyone else drives.

Twice last week I was pulled over on Comm. Ave in Boston in one of those cattle roundups. [censored] annoying. There is a red light at the top of a hill, then there is another hill right after. So when the light turns green you are going down a hill which causes you to naturally speed up, and you are approaching another hill, so you speed up to prepare for the hill. The cop waits in that little valley, and right as the light turns green, and the cars take off, he comes from behind a row of parked cars, stands in the middle of the road, and makes all 4-6 cars pull over. Comm Ave. out by BC is like a four lane divided highway, and the posted limit is [censored] 30. Ugh.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My main problem with these is that they're run by a for profit company.

It's essentially free money for the police. The company owns, installs, maintains the cameras. They handle the ticketing and billing.

They deduct a "small" monthy fee, rent on the cameras, and write a check to the police.

[/ QUOTE ]

So? The camera/ticketing/billing company handles the technology and what-not so the police can do their thing. It would be silly for the police to devote their own resources towards running traffic cameras when they can hire a 3rd party to do it.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:06 PM

Other than the fact that they're 100% anti-Constitutional, the cameras are fine.

One of the first places they used them was in Ft Collins, CO, about 15 years ago. They used to issue points and fines, but now I think the states can only issue fines. The company that makes the vans gets something like 20% of the money. This should tell you that these things are only about generating revenue, and not about the law. A speeding tax enforced in an anonymous fashion - not very American.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:19 PM

There's one at an intersection right by my office and other places in Seattle.

I'm torn because I agree with sucker for the most part, but as somebody who crosses at this intersection daily, I'm all for anything that deters people from acting like idiots in cars.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Other than the fact that they're 100% anti-Constitutional, the cameras are fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Explain where these are prohibited in the Constitution.