Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 08-30-2007, 08:57 AM

Default Adjusting HOH to shorter tournaments

HOH and other books are written with the WSOP and WPT style tournaments in mind. Those with large starting chip counts and long time frames. I play mostly tournaments designed to last no longer than three hours. Starting chip counts are already in the orange zone.

Are there any books that talk about how to modify early play to adjust for this?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Adjusting HOH to shorter tournaments

Shill account for Snyder?
Old 08-30-2007, 11:15 AM

I'm not a shill account for anyone. Just new to the forums. But since you mentioned Snyder I'll assume he has something to say about adjusting to shorter tournaments.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shill account for Snyder?

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL... my thoughts exactly.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a shill account for anyone. Just new to the forums. But since you mentioned Snyder I'll assume he has something to say about adjusting to shorter tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hubfinserv,

I'm going to assume you aren't a shill for Snyder and give you a straight answer. The book they're referring to, "The Poker Tournament Formula" by Arnold Snyder, is targeted at beating tournaments with short starting stacks and fast blind structures. If you do a search in this forum (books and publications) on the title of the book you'll find numerous threads on the book as well as discussiong some articles Snyder has published on his web site.

If you do the search you'll find that Mason Malmuth (owner of 2+2) gave the book a positive review (8 of 10 stars IIRC) although he had some serous reservations about the basic premise that the speed of a tournament should impact strategy. If you go back far enough you'll find discussions on a few of Snyder's specific playing suggestions with arguments both for and against. My advice would be to review as many of the threads as you can stomach starting with the oldest and if you're aren't persuaded one way or the other buy the book and decide for yourself. I would caution you to seperate the discussions about the subsequent articles Snyder wrote from those about the actual book.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:24 PM

Thanks for your response. I've seen the threads about the book, but didn't delve deep enough to get the complete picture of it's contents.

Again

Thanks
Old 08-30-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Starting chip counts are already in the orange zone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe start by applying general "orange zone" strategy....? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2007, 02:04 PM

Sounds like World Tavern Poker, which is what I play.

I lower my starting hand requirements some, but generally play tight for the first couple of levels. If I'm going well, I keep playing the same way, otherwise, I'm pushing hard with hands like A 9, KQ, medium pocket pair. But, you have to push hard before you get below an M of 3, after that, you're going to get called no matter what you have.

I use my position and fairly tight table image to steal when I can, and if I have the pot odds to call, I go for it. If I have a strong hand, I push it for all it's worth. If I bust out, so be it. It's free poker, so you have to be a little reckless.

Since I picked up HOH 1 and 2, my win rate has skyrocketed. People are starting to hate to see me sit down with them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you do the search you'll find that Mason Malmuth (owner of 2+2) gave the book a positive review (8 of 10 stars IIRC) although he had some serous reservations about the basic premise that the speed of a tournament should impact strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is, by the way, a pretty absurd position to take.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:05 AM

I pretty much follow HoH. Only changes I make it when the table is starting to get short. Still I play alot by what my M is at that point.