Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 08-30-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: A difficult river

[ QUOTE ]
My results are NONEXISTANT - out of 5 attempted raise-bluffs, all on different tables, 3 have been successful. I try them in heads-up pots about 10BB in size, where I judge that the other player pretty much has to have only one pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL samplesize/contextaments.

This is not a comment on bet/folding in contrast to bet/calling or river bluffing. I both do and don't do both.

That's said, a 3 street float here is spew considering the T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is one of the only cards Hero's range is bet/folding.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:09 PM

Wait nevermind, I take it back. I think you have discovered a stunning revelation...

Comm. 20
Preflop: Villain raises in LP, Hero 3-bets KQ[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] OTB, HU.
Flop: A98[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain checks, Hero bets, Villain raises, Hero calls intending to float scary river.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain bets, Hero calls intending to float scary river.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain bets, Hero raises, Villain folds!

Therefore, bet/folding is bad.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:15 PM

The thing is that bet/fold and raise/fold lines are to be taken against people that will not exploit you. As soon as you've got a spazz or a tricky and smart player on your hands you have to either call the raise or check or call depending on the situation. bet/fold is generally safe in live games
Old 08-30-2007, 06:58 PM

Excuse me, you appear to have a tongue stuck in your cheek.

I'll get back to you when I've bluff-raised the river at least 1000 times with more conclusive results.

I don't agree that the Ts was the money card. When I called the turn, I was going to raise any river that was A,Q,J,T,8, or a spade as a bluff. Obviously in practice Q or 8s would not have worked, but the others might have.

Yes, the villain showed QQ as he was folding. He later asked what I had and I said TT for quads.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:10 PM

This is more or less what I was trying to get at.

Bet/fold lines are good because they maximize equity in medium hand situations, applied with discrimination against predictable opponents.

Bet/fold lines are bad when used without discrimination against TAGs that can hand-read.

This is why I think the responses that said 'you should bet/fold here' are just wrong. They should read 'you should bet/fold here often, and occasionally bet/call' This is a check-up situation to allow you to continue to use this profitable line without also giving a smart opponent an opportunity to level you.