Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Buying a car to have fun in

The other thread got locked, I thought that was lame, kind of a weak op as he left out some details, but I want to talk about it so:

here is a pm from gordo:

I really want both. I’m leaning toward the 350z because I think it would be more dependable but I’ve always wanted a 911. I’m looking for a fast cruiser that I can put 2 or 3 100 mile trips a month on while occasionally blowing off some steam on the back roads

For a fast older convertible, Id seriously look at some muscle cars from the sixties/seventies, depending on what kind of roads you are driving on, you can probably find a sweet 69 stingray for about 20k. You may even be able to find one for 10 to 12k, and get 8k worth of paint/engine upgrades etc, if not a 68 mustang convertible with an after market 351 would be killer. If you want something a little more modern, I wouldnt go with an 80s porshe, they arent as fast as youd assume. Personally, a 350z imo, is a waste of 20k for a "fun" car, I just dont like it, and would like my "fun" cars to have a little more personality.

edit: when my brother was 18, he found a 69 t-top corvette for 4k, it was in running shape, it rattled, but if you have the time, and are willing to sink 16k in a revamp, this would be one helluva car. Also, something I totally forgot about:

a reproduction cobra can be had for about 20k. these things are killer w/ a 427

If you dont necessarily want to go fast, go with a wrangler, nothing better than an old CJ with the doors off, and top gone, with big tires to tool around in.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Buying a car to have fun in

yeah i have owned a jeep and it's really a blast in the summer with the roof off, going up to the beach with friends. a really fun car, but doesn't sound like what gordo is looking for
Old 08-23-2007, 02:28 PM

I will also add, that ebay and craigslist are the jam for figuring out what you want, and what price range youre looking at. whenever Im contemplating a new car/motorcycle, ill spend an hour or two browsing for ideas of what I like, and keep notes of what I "have to have".
Old 08-23-2007, 02:43 PM

The car I always wanted to have was an MG Midget. I normally don't care for smaller cars that would survive a 5mph impact with a rollerskate, but MG's have always appealed to me.

I would want the steering wheel on the correct side, of course.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:03 PM

guids is right on. do everything you can to get something from the 60's or early 70's.

That Nissan is ugly as hell, which I think is somewhat relevant here, and I'm sure you can find better power elsewhere. There's something special about the pure power, tough to handle combo that more modern sports cars don't quite capture. I want something that takes effort, you might not.

Tom,

I nearly bought a cheap non-running Triumph Spitfire a few weeks ago but some [censored] beat me to it. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2007, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the repost.

Jeeps are great but I really want the speed and handling of a sports car. I grew up around the muscle car business so don’t think I haven’t given a lot of thought to buying a Vette or an early Camaro.

This may sound lame but I’m looking at the 911 and the 350 from a fuel economy angle.

Note to NT! it's a thankless job you do, keep up the good work.

GS
Old 08-23-2007, 03:09 PM

For the record I had a 66 289 mustang coupe when I was 17, it was OKAY, nothing special, I dont reccomend it really. I currently have a 93 wrangler w/ 35 inch tires (a [censored] blast), and a superbee w/ the engine pulled, getting ready to send off to the sandblaster. The superbee is a bitch of a car, huge, fast, and slick, I cant wait till that gets done.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:10 PM

Fuel consumption, blah! the point of a "fun" car is to have an impractical, gas guzzler, that is fun for about a weekend. If gas is really that big of a concern, honestly, Id spend 17k instead of 20k, and justify that 3k as "gas money"
Old 08-23-2007, 03:12 PM

Corvette... you can pick up a 2000 - 2004 Z06 for the around $35K... plenty fast
Old 08-23-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Corvette... you can pick up a 2000 - 2004 Z06 for the around $35K... plenty fast

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot to include this in my OP, his price range tops out at 20kish I think....