Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 08-22-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Power / Video cable interference

OK, so here's my story. I have a new Dell XPS m1330, and a new Dell 2407WFP-HC. They're both fantastic and I'm very happy. Except for the following issue:

When I connect the monitor to the laptop (using the VGA cable that shipped with the monitor), and the power to the laptop, the power cable seems to interfere with the quality of the video. It gets wavy/flickery. I'm 100% sure that this is what's going on (disconnecting the power solves the problem, and jiggling the two cables relative to each other increases/decreases the problem).

So I have at least a few options:

1) I've read that this behavior can be caused by "dirty" power. So maybe I could get a better power strip / surge protector thing, and the problem would go away?

2) Some kind of shielded VGA cable. These are definitely offered for sale. But do they actually work or is it just a silly marketing ploy like Monster cables?

3) Buy a HDMI->DVI cable. The laptop has HDMI out (no DVI out). The monitor has DVI in (no HDMI in). Is this a good idea? The HDMI out on the laptop is a little from the power in (the VGA out is right next to the power in), but the cords would still be near each other.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.