Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 03:42 AM

Default Maybe interesting hand, live TS, 10/20.

I thought this was an interesting hand because I perhaps played it poorly. I think three of the streets are somewhat questionable (well, atleast a topic of conversation) and for near 100bb stacks, this is unusual for me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Also, it deals with a villain this forum has some history with (more so in HSNL) Al Krux.

So, the game just started, Sauce123 and I lobbied for them to start a new 2500 max since we were roughly #11 and 12 on the list and had no chance of getting into the main game. We got our wish, so the 2nd table ran with 8 people. Al Krux is one seat on my left. My reads: He is a loose player and not particularly good. The read the forum has on him (see other hands with him) are somewhat close to accurate, so his preflop range is very wide. He functions like a limit player, since he plays mainly limit, and imo has not made the proper transitions/adjustments. (Ie checkraises in TERRIBLE spots, raises the flop in TERRIBLE spots, etc.) He is a very nice guy though. He thinks I am insane - I knocked him out of the 1k tournament the previous day, and prior to me knocking him out he said that I was too reckless! (lol, coming from him)

The effective stacks are 2.5k, since that is the cap and what he and I bought in for. So, he open limps UTG+1, button overlimps, SB completes, and I check the BB with K2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

So, no questions there, that sets the stage. The game is also raked 4/pot, which is "meh," and this is a bad digression. SO:

Flop (76) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I lead for 60 after the BB checks, he calls, the other 2 fold. For me this is an auto lead in a limped pot, obviously no real discussion here but if someone thinks checkraising or checkcalling (lol) is superior I'm obviously welcome to hearing that.

Turn (~200) 3x, I lead for 135. He makes it 400.

Ok, wtf? I tanked here, prior to that I pretty much bet in rhythm (I act very quickly) so it was obvious this threw me off, because my read on him was the same read any of you would have. On the flop he should have any PP, any 7, flushdraw, and of course 77/A2/33 somewhat flashed in my mind. But now he raises - decision 1: 3bet or call?
In my head even though he thinks I'm crazy, and he could be doing the limit player raise for cheap showdown with a 7, he never ever calls a 3bet with that. At the moment I thought that was his most likely hand.

Also, although he's loose, since he's in EP, he simply doesnt have Q2-52 here. He could have 42 or K2, but not too many deuces I dominate. Also, if he was going to get aggro, he'd normally raise the flop, right? What exactly is his range?

I decided to call, but i wasnt sure I was going to check the river or donk out, but I was maybe folding on a spade and checkpushing a king.

River (almost 1k) it pairs the 3, not a spade, I check, and he oddly bets 1700.

Again, decision 2; if he bets pot or less it's an obv call, but the hand is just so weird. So... Should I call? Keep in mind I'm splitting with any 2, and 3x just sucked out on me bigtime. I'll say what I did and why in a bit, hopefully this is a good post.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Maybe interesting hand, live TS, 10/20.

i would call turn bobbo so ur hand isnt like so face up. i think river is a call although i can see him having 77 or 72 here a lot.

can he have something like a3ss or 34ss?

man... blah idk make ur image insane and say im going to flip a coin and then call or fold then he will go nuts [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2007, 04:05 AM

CALL THIS FAST! lOOKS LIKE HE'S REPPING A FLUSH DRAW OR 9 HIGH
Old 08-18-2007, 04:11 AM

i also like to call cos u dont have to show your hand.

turn is whatever, i can definitely understand not 3-betting cos he has to have trips+ which seems unliekly unless its 77/33
Old 08-18-2007, 05:09 AM

i like your turn reasoning and would call the river as played
Old 08-18-2007, 05:25 AM

fold the river, he has 77 and knows you have a deuce or a busted flush draw, so he may as well go for a big score. if he was bluffing, he'd bet much smaller into that range of hands.

as for the earlier streets, i'm in favor of all as played.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:38 AM

meh to be honest sounds like an easy calldown after turn bet (def tank on turn/river liek you dont think your mediocre hand is good.)
Old 08-19-2007, 01:15 AM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
fold the river, he has 77 and knows you have a deuce or a busted flush draw, so he may as well go for a big score. if he was bluffing, he'd bet much smaller into that range of hands.

as for the earlier streets, i'm in favor of all as played.

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmkay I guess my post wasnt great. oh well. i thoguht for a while and my process was the same as dj sensei's. im not one to make big folds v often (especially FULL HOUSES) but basically on the river his hand is 33 (yah right) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 77 2x or a busted flush draw. (hell, wouldnt put it past for him to have 32) if he could have a busted flush draw, he could have the 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] since it means he's aggro enough to raise the turn w/ that.

i would've called against someone my own age, but when it boiled down to it, i just reverted to rule 1, which is when old people put alot of money into the pot, you need the nuts or 2nd nuts to call them. so i folded. (plus, the price he laid me made it bad if i was either splitting to 2x or losing, 1700 to technically win 500...)

he showed KJ[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Old 08-19-2007, 01:30 AM

I call for the following reasons;

Your hand is fairly transparent.

He overbet the river.

He can have a worse deuce a lot of the time.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I call for the following reasons;

Your hand is fairly transparent.

He overbet the river.

He can have a worse deuce a lot of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

you do realize 2x is a split? if its not a 3 or 7 his bluff doesnt work. as it was, it did..