Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 04:30 AM

Default Re: Weird line people have been taking vs. me lately

guys,
just because people know you're a shade lag doesn't mean a hand like T9s 4 off the button isn't profitable.

And I'd much rather play as close to optimal as possible and have people think I'm lag than make -ev folds so that people think I'm tag.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:45 AM

Hand 1 he has A7, procure his dollars by betting not once, not thrice, but twice.

Hand 2 you could just fold to the flop c/r if he is the type that will not c/r 66-99 here but since you called I am guessing he doesn't have to have a Q. His turn check further suggests a pocket pair that is going into a showdown shell. Rejoice that you are getting a free card with your 500 outter. When he checks on a 9 or T river show him why you will have all his money one day with your value bet.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:19 PM

Hand 1 is an incredibly easy b/f.

Hand 2 is alot closer but I like a check.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Elindauer,
I agree wholeheartedly with you about hand 1 if this were online 6max against a 30/20/2. Does the fact that this is full ring live against a 18/13/2 change things?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think it's more appropriate against a live player. I'd be more concerned with highly aggressive online players taking advantage of my attempt to fold extra hands.

[ QUOTE ]
As for hand 2, I just don't see anybody folding on this street. Maybe if I bet/bet I can get a fold though...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it seems unlikely, but 15:1 (maybe better!) doesn't require many folds to make a bet right. Note that your mind is working against you here. If you get 1 fold in 11 attempts you'll surely feel like you are failing, but in fact you'll be making money.

Any river bluffs that get setup by the turn bet are just icing on the cake. I don't think you need to bluff the river to make a turn bet profitable (though a river bluff may be good, and certainly you should bluff sometimes purely from a game theory point of view).

good luck.
eric
Old 08-07-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 you could just fold to the flop c/r if he is the type that will not c/r 66-99 here but since you called I am guessing he doesn't have to have a Q. His turn check further suggests a pocket pair that is going into a showdown shell. Rejoice that you are getting a free card with your 500 outter. When he checks on a 9 or T river show him why you will have all his money one day with your value bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read your opponent to have a small pocket pair, the only conceivable play is to bet. With this read, you are looking at 21 outs to the best hand. With that many outs, you have almost 48% equity in the pot. This means you are on a virtual freeroll to bet... you're getting like 100:1 here.

The EV of enhancing your laggy image by betting a draw is worth the cost of a bet alone.

-eric
Old 08-07-2007, 08:14 PM

hand 1 is a check.
i think i'd bet hand 2.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:19 PM

Hand 1: I'm going to be 3-betting the flop a lot given position. It's pretty easy for this guy to have 88-JJ here. As played, I probably b/f the turn assuming this guy is not capable of stone cold turn c/r bluffs.

Hand 2: I see the turn card and believe I've already won the hand so of course I instabet.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: I'm going to be 3-betting the flop a lot given position. It's pretty easy for this guy to have 88-JJ here.

[/ QUOTE ]

chipspin,
plz explain your reasoning here. Are you planning on betting every street after you 3-bet the flop?

3-betting the flop in this type of situation vs. anybody but a maniac is a play I've never made but my opponents do it a lot and I'd like to understand what's going on in their heads.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:11 AM

tight players dont open A7 5 off the button.. but i agree he has a small pp than qq...
Old 08-08-2007, 01:17 AM

maybe it's a serious leak but i'm open raising T9s 30-50% of the time in EP... i rather raise this hand than AJo/ATo in EP...