Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 03:40 PM

Default 2 postflop 3bets, live play.

I dont find myself 3betting the flop too often. Mainly because when I'm checkraised I give my opponent credit for a big ish hand, and therefore... If i have a big hand I will make alot anyway by calling and putting it in by calling down or raising the turn, and if I have a draw I wont make them fold so I may as well call. (And put it in if I hit) and obvi if I believe my opponent is strong alot, a bluff makes little sense, so I try not 3betting air. That said, I played these hands over the past 10 days, and for some reason now that I'm home I'm thinking over them and found them interesting. (I dont find many hands I play post worthy, so I guess this may say something?)

1. This hand takes place early morning at the Wynn, in a 10/20 game which has broken. Villain is a 2p2er who I've logged alot of time with, and I obviously lied about my hand to him after the fact. The game is 4handed, he is sitting on roughly 15k, and I have roughly the same. (He probably covers me by a bit, but suffice to say the game is [censored] deep). I'd rather not reveal my thoughts on his game but I think he's a terrific player, but like anyone, does not play perfectly. I think he thinks I bluff way more then I do.

4handed I straddle - I straddle near 100% frequency if the game is ever shorthanded. button and SB fold, villain calls in the BB, I have J2o so I decide not to raise it up. (Fwiw, this opponent thinks I steal dead money too much, so against him I never do)

Flop is 6 6 5r, he checks and I check. there is 90 in there and I probably missed a profitable bet. But it's close and I dont feel bad about that. Turn is an offsuit 3, he checks, I bet 80, he checkraises to 240, I make it 780.

If he calls, are we bluffing any river? Clearly value betting if we spike a 4.

different session, this time the venetian, it's 5/10 and again 4handed. villain is a marine who plays 5/10 on pokerstars/full tilt, and I think ive logged hands with him online. he was really weak live, though, so i am real surprised he wins online. (or makes money at all) but who knows. again I straddle, but this time button, small blind, and BB (villain) all call, I check my option with 83[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. His stack is roughly 3.5k, I cover by a lot.

so 80 in the pot, it comes 6 4 3r, w/ 1 club. it checks to me, and I bet 60. button and small blind fold, and villain makes it 220. I make it 700.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Re: 2 postflop 3bets, live play.

tough hands, man. i like the second one a lot more than the first one (although i dont care about your hand at all in the second one - i guess your hand is better than 9To but not by much). the first one, i really dont know. i dont think you'd really play ANY hand that way except for maybe 65... I think if I were he, I would make it 2K to go with like whatever... so, don't like the first one.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:29 PM

I like the first one but not the 2nd, if he calls in hand 1 I'd just give up unless you hit your possible 4 outer

in hand 2 I hate 3-betting a weak player who has cr'd, like you said this is often massive strength, esp in a limped pot, plus you have no equity in the hand whatsoever if he calls, well... theres the backdraw fd but I hope your not counting that
Old 07-24-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the first one but not the 2nd, if he calls in hand 1 I'd just give up unless you hit your possible 4 outer

in hand 2 I hate 3-betting a weak player who has cr'd, like you said this is often massive strength, esp in a limped pot, plus you have no equity in the hand whatsoever if he calls, well... theres the backdraw fd but I hope your not counting that

[/ QUOTE ]

i have bottom pair too, with an 8 kicker and backdoor straight draw
Old 07-24-2007, 04:56 PM

I don't like the first one. You could be shown two pair on the river two often that he "should" have folded.
I like the second one with you read that he is weak though I think if he flat calls flop, you need to carefully reevaluate on the turn and check behind sometimes instead of just barrelling ahead with bottom pair. If you pick up any draw or make a hand, it will be easy. Also, betting any card J-A should be profitable too.
If he was SB or button and not BB, I would think your play to not be profitable without a stronger read.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:57 PM

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, if you spike a 3 on the turn do you think your hand is good?
Old 07-24-2007, 05:04 PM

first one i like a lot, and would probably follow through on most rivers.

dont like the second as much. I'd probably call and raise lots of turns if I thought he was weak, or a good scarecard came. call if a club comes, probably. I think this one kinda falls under your exact description of why you dont 3bet flops often, actually.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:42 PM

Hand 1: He thinks you steal/bluff a lot. With deep stacks on a paired flop, you decided to go beserk on a card that you would've bet on the flop if you had anything related to the current board. I would probably shut down on riv.

Hand 2: Most of his holdings probably have a pair + gutty/opened. Thus, he's not folding because of "implied odds." I would probably fold. However, if he's prone to tilt, I would call and raise a non-straight turn and show. If he calls the turn, then you gotta ask yourself "does he has it or no" and bomb it away. This isn't too bad since low-stakes live players make it kind of obv when they're drawing.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:54 PM

I like em both, mainly because of stack sizes.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, if you spike a 3 on the turn do you think your hand is good?

[/ QUOTE ]

villain called and i hit the 3 on the turn, lucky me. i also chanted 'dont pair the board, dont pair the board'. he checked. do i bet?