Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Very light

20/40 Commerce:

I came to this table about an orbit ago, my girlfriend is sweating me so of course I am unlucky. Villain here I haven't seen much but is a probable TAG. Another time, he raised AK on SB after several limpers.

Villain raises when folded to his button, I 3-bet with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], BB folds.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet he calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet he calls.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I hate bet/fold here. I hate check/call. I hate check/fold a little less than the other two, but I also hate folding in heads-up pots for 1 bet.

So I check/call.

Which street did I go wrong? Is this a percentages problem?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Very light

maybe this is just stylistic but does anyone else prefer to cold call rather than 3-bet preflop out of position, then check raise (basically) any flop against a competent tagish villian? it seems like it makes the hand easier to play most of the time.

EDIT: i just notice OP is in the SB and not the BB so i guess it doesn't apply to this particular hand.

EDIT2 to actually comment on the hand. the only place for improvement is the river. i would check/fold against most people live but would check/call and even bet/fold a lot on line. i am bad at these "just play poker" type of situations though so i really don't know which would be objectively better as a default.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:57 PM

Check/Fold this river. Hearts got there on the river, the straight got there on the turn and he is unlikely to bet just Ace high.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:58 PM

3-bet is standard and correct
Old 07-18-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet is standard and correct

[/ QUOTE ]
certainly when you are in the SB and the BB hasn't acted out of turn. but i am not convinced a 3bet OOP in the BB against a good villain is ideal (in my mind its really close to be honest, probably worth using a mixed strategy of both lines). though AJs might be too good of a hand not to. maybe something like A9s. Sorry for the Hijack, i only brought it up because i thought OP was BB when i first posted.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:31 PM

I like preflop 3-bet. River I probably check-fold. I don't know what he could have here that you beat and that he plays this way. Would he call the flop with something goofy like Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]?
Old 07-18-2007, 04:32 PM

I 3-bet out of the SB 100% of the time here, and call about 70% of the time out of the BB.

As for the line, unless the villain is capable of bluff-raising you here with a worse hand, which most standard players aren't, bet-folding is clearly superior to check/calling, which I think is the worst possible line.

I would usually just c/f the river, but betting might occasionally get a fold from a tiny pair or AQ (hey, it's live), so that's better than check-calling.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:37 PM

Sorry, I thought he was in the SB. Usually, I raise this in the BB for value though.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:39 PM

To clarify, I was the SB in this hand.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:36 AM

Check-fold against a TAG. True a couple of draws just got there but you would think the TAG would have made a play for the pot either on the flop or turn with one of these holdings. I do however, think you are still beat. He probably has a pocket pair that he is taking to showdown hopeing you have exactly what you do have.

There are those whom I would bet the river against. They are the type who will take their pocket pair to the river in the hopes of catching a set. When you bet again on the river they are now convinced you are not bluffing and fold when they don't hit their set.