Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 05:32 AM

Default Re: HU blind battle PF question

Guruman,
I have trouble believing such a simple strategy is optimal. You let me get to the turn just about every hand which can't be good. Plus, if I know we'll always only go 2 bets pf and you will only play 60-70% of the hands I'm pretty sure I'll run over you.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:53 AM

vma,

that simple strat is not optimal. Its really just a starting point until i get better reads on you, but I feel its a good one.

the crux of that strat would be the way that you play on the turn. If you can find folds there with your air hands then I'll end up having the best of it. Also, i'll be showing down a lot, so your turn decsions with air are going to be more complex than it may look initially and you'll really only be running over my crap hands, while paying a bigger price to showdown vs even my mediocre ones and my big draws.

Also, my read of you would indicate that you're not a maniac - but if you tried to get maniacal on me by raising and two barrelling 100% then I'm clearly going to have the best of it, I'm sure you can see why.

I think a lot of how this match would go is dependant on who runs badly early.

If I run badly early you're going to end up buying a lot of little pots from me and writing 'weaktight' in the notepad.

If you run badly early you're going to find yourself making later folds in bigger pots or paying off second best hands for three BB and having to make an adjustment.

If I feel like I need to reign you in at any point, I can just switch to a strat that threeballs 100%, checks through a lot of flops and raises a lot of turns, then stick with that until I see you fold or limp pf and switch back.

if we're sitting next to each other in a ring game this situation will only even come up 15-20 times in any of my given session lengths, so my initial strat may be enough to fend you off for that period of time.

if we're playing hu, then tempo and other dynamics will obv affect which pf and postflop strats are most effective for any given hand. I'd probably still start there, but i'd be willing to move off of it as soon as i got better reads on your turn and river plays.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:30 AM

guru, if I read it right I think the crux is preflop-- you are only calling 60-70% of hands and never 3-betting. Unless I am just awful postflop I'm not sure you can win with that strategy (assuming I get the button every other hand and can play it as i wish).

i agree the metagame stuff is important but i'd rather ignore it for now.