Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 07-06-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: $17k Guaranteed: Call-down with 3rd pair; hand-reading skills requ

You reckon Villain shoves a 6 river and expects you to fold after putting in most of your stack?

Oh, OK. You might have missed the point of my post. Anything I typed after the first sentence was little more than noise and vaguely assigning a weighted range to a flop donk and second barrel.

Against a spewtard, 88-TT certainly isn't bluffing turn. Don't think the turn card helped him either, maybe he fires that barrel figuring it didn't help you either.

[ QUOTE ]
So yes, I thought my opponent knew what he was doing, was aggressive, and was definitely aware of my image.. I tried to imply that but should have been more clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that part was clear enough. Your counter is fine, in theory. It's just that in this particular situation with those stack sizes, it sucks. I like having turn options with FE here, and without that, you're just gambling in this hand.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Re: $17k Guaranteed: Call-down with 3rd pair; hand-reading skills required

i'd raise on the flop if for anything, to save yourself from having to call down on turn and river and go broke. I know you dont have a big stack for putting in a good raise, but at least if he jams your raise, you can safely assume youre beat, leave yourself 1500 chips to make a move. looks to me like villian was maybe bluffing the flop, and then hit on the turn. Either way, he probably has you smoked, and because you didnt raise the flop, you really have no idea what he has anymore
Old 07-06-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i hope you sit at my table when i play these from now on

[/ QUOTE ]

So do I.

I'm pretty disappointed with the lack of any analytical thought whatsoever on the board. People throwing out hands that beat me that don't even make sense. Regardless of the result, it's embarrassing. Thank you to the people who have actually offered insight that makes sense.

I've made 4 call-downs of this magnitude in the past year and I've been right 3 of those times. Obviously I just chose to call down those four times out of the thousands of opportunities completely at random, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

But it's fine if people want to be close-minded about this kind of thing, because I know it limits how much they can improve. +ev for me I guess
Old 07-06-2007, 11:03 PM

This calldown is equally as bad as the quality of posts by the poster. You're analyzing the hand from an hour of play and no read(don't think he showed down a hand seems aggro is NOT a read), how is committing all your chips on a call down(on someone you dont have a read on) when in most cases even if he is bluffing he's fairly live NOT pure spew?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Re: $17k Guaranteed: Call-down with 3rd pair; hand-reading skills required

blanko...your OPR numbers for rowdydogg79...are they right?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This calldown is equally as bad as the quality of posts by the poster. You're analyzing the hand from an hour of play and no read(don't think he showed down a hand seems aggro is NOT a read), how is committing all your chips on a call down(on someone you dont have a read on) when in most cases even if he is bluffing he's fairly live NOT pure spew?

[/ QUOTE ]

This.

And when a player calls down like this against me, he gets a note pretty quickly. Something like, "calling station - can't fold 3rd pair...ever"

Seriously blanko. Here is what I think happened.

1) You had a really really really sick read that cannot be described in words over the internet and you made a fantastic play. In that case, it does us no good to look at it because we won't be capable of making that same read because we weren't there.

Or

2) You played this hand really badly, got lucky and won, and then posted it here because you thought you played it really well after the fact. I'm not saying this to embarass you. I've done this before. I've posted plenty of hands that I thought I played well, but after hearing the comments of lots of respected posters, (even if I never admitted it here) I at least recognized to myself that I played it badly.

So, you need to be honest with yourself and answer two questions. Is this hand #1 from above or #2? Did you really honestly have that good of a read, or did you decide you "must" have had a good read after it worked out?

Secondly, if it was #2, you need to ask yourself, "Can I be honest with myself and recognize that I played it poorly and play it better in the future."

Best,

Sherman