Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 07-03-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Bankroll Questions

Well, I was given amounts such as $5-$20 by a friend, and kept going bust when I first started...got $5 again, got up to $200 or so, went bust...twice same scenario...got $5 again worked up to $200, went down to $5, and got up to $300 before winning an $8 Sunday Million DS and taking the T$ and working up to a bit over $500 now where I stand..

Now, I hope not to go bust again, but I feel I am at the point where I can earn decent pocket $$ while building my roll..what are some good limits for a person with my roll to start building to a bigger roll at? And, at these limits, what is a reasonable monthly goal?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Bankroll Questions

With $500, some skill, and a bit of patience you can likely do very well in the $4+.40 180-player sit & gos on Stars. There's an excellent "how to" post on those that's stickied at the top of the MTT Strategy forum.

I won't attempt to comment on cash games as it seems you're a NL player & I'm not that familiar with the recommended bankroll considerations for that game.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:08 PM

Cash or tournaments?
Old 07-03-2007, 11:10 PM

For NL cash games you should have 20 buy-ins for the level you play. So for $500 that would be 25NL. Move up to 50NL when you have $1000 and down to 10NL if you drop to $375 (15 buy-ins for 25NL).
Old 07-03-2007, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cash or tournaments?

[/ QUOTE ]

All...cash, sng's, and tourneys...whatever I find I profit most from..
Old 07-04-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
.what are some good limits for a person with my roll to start building to a bigger roll at? And, at these limits, what is a reasonable monthly goal?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should probably establish that you are a winning player before you worry about this stuff. You need to know your win rate, standard deviation, and number of hands played in a given game to know if you're a winner.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:35 PM

Try all the games with the LOWEST stakes.

Your biggest mistake was to play underrolled(when you had 200 or 300 dollars), and the only way to start winning is to stop making this mistakes and playing according to the bankroll roles.

Play 0.01-0.02 NL
Play 0.02-0.04 L
Play 0.01-0.02 PL
Play Omaha and other games
Play the CHEAPEST MTTs, SnGs and Heads-Ups.

Your task is to reveal in what game are you TALENTED, this game will bring you the most money.

If you are good at some game - you will move up levels anywas as you progress.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try all the games with the LOWEST stakes.

Your biggest mistake was to play underrolled(when you had 200 or 300 dollars), and the only way to start winning is to stop making this mistakes and playing according to the bankroll roles.

Play 0.01-0.02 NL
Play 0.02-0.04 L
Play 0.01-0.02 PL
Play Omaha and other games
Play the CHEAPEST MTTs, SnGs and Heads-Ups.

Your task is to reveal in what game are you TALENTED, this game will bring you the most money.

If you are good at some game - you will move up levels anywas as you progress.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I had the $200, I played mainly $5 MTT's and $12 6 man sng's...got up to $300 by way of $12's and won the DS, putting me at $500. Now I play $23 HU's (still working on these...were much better at the $11 ones) and still $12 6 man's but also things such as $16 9 and 18 mans...along with $10 180 man's, etc. I have played every game on the site (with the exception of 2-7 lowball). I suck at Omaha, and stud I can win good except I tend to get called down or someone rivers a 2 pair and refuses to fold...but stud there is money for me. But, I feel my best game is indeed holdem...however, I do play a lot of stud as well, but I have massive winning as well as losing sessions there..
Old 07-04-2007, 09:03 PM

And I played a lot of limit today (a lot of $$$ to be made from the calling stations) at .5/1, and I have $600 and have 300 bb at that level, so gonna give that a shot...had 5.76 bb's per hour won at a quick session of limit, and that's after a large suckout..
Old 07-05-2007, 03:09 AM

I added some money back online and I figured I would give .01/.02 NLHE a chance. I set a goal to just make $50 in there and I was up within a few hours over 2 days to $12, but quickly I started taking rough beats for whatever I bought into that table ($3-$5).

I realized a lot of it was my fault since I would make decent plays, or try to make a move/play on them but they couldn't see it. So, their calling with K4 off on a K59 flop was a good move....and a lot more hands like this.

I think it can be useful to see what you like and are good at, but at same time it can be tough since the play level is so different