FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 02:26 AM

Default Knee Surgery #2 of 2007 - Trip Report

Over Memorial Day weekend, I reinjured my left knee. For those that don't know:

I tore my ACL in December '06 and had surgery for that this January:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post8757545

Then I reinjured, tearing my medial meniscus cartilage a few weeks ago:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post10650626

So my luck with my knee has not been very good over the past 6 months.

Well today was my surgery and everything went well. I went to the same surgery center this morning and things went smoothly. I really think it's one of the most bizarre and best feelings in the world when that first hit of anesthesia kicks in. I felt it immediately but was still conscious. It really felt like I had about 15 drinks instantly. I was slurring my words and definitely was hitting on a hot nurse in the OR before that second hit knocked me out.

I woke up apparently 45 min to an hour later in recovery. Everything went very very well according to my doctor. I was in and out, which was nice (got there at 10:45 for my 12:15 procedure and was out the door by 2:15). I was even able to grab Chipotle afterwards and eat most of a burrito, which didn't happen the last time b/c I was nauseated from the anesthesia.

For the most part, this was a pretty easy trip. After napping for a few hours this afternoon, I was pretty much good to go. I didn't need the crutches and actually walked out of the surgery center. I was just able to go see a movie tonight and am walking around very well - kind of awesome for being operated on 10 hours earlier.

And I guess the added bonus is that I have a plethora of pain medication to add onto the stuff I didn't use from the last surgery. I just didn't need it today b/c there really isn't much pain at all. And the small annoyance I have is being taken care of by extra strength Tylenol.

All and all, I'm happy to get this behind me. After shelling out $3k of my own money after insurance for the first surgery/rehabbing, it'll probably be another $500-$1k this time, which sucks. But it should be pretty much over. I head to PT tomorrow morning to get my bandages off and probably have a little stretching, but I think that should be pretty easy. Most of my exercises, I can do on my own, and since there is no ligament damage, the healing will be very speedy. I guess my main lesson I learned is not to be stupid and think I've been healed before I really am ready. That and the fact that I should never try to execute spinning-jumping dance moves a la Pete Wentz.

Cappy
Old 06-20-2007, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Knee Surgery #2 of 2007 - Trip Report

How much you gonna charge me for the Vicodin?
Old 06-20-2007, 02:34 AM

Default Re: Knee Surgery #2 of 2007 - Trip Report

[ QUOTE ]
How much you gonna charge me for the Vicodin?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - Well I don't have any Vicodins, sorry. What I do have is a bunch of Oxycontin's from my first surgery. I also have a bunch of Oxycodone from that past surgery as well as this one. I feel like I could probably make decent money if I chose to go that route, haha. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]