Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Outerbanks, NC. Tell me your experiences.

[ QUOTE ]
I got back from Duck today, was there the past week. Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, are all not even close to as nice as Duck and Corolla. Duck and Corolla are more family oriented, rich people houses. Corolla also has nicer beaches, better sand. Avoid the three I mentioned earlier, they are grimy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:56 PM

We always stay in Corolla, Duck and Corolla Light (I don't know if that's just what my parents call it or if that's actually what it is). David actually came with our family this year, and the houses are all so big that my parents managed to successfully separate us while still giving each of my siblings their own bedrooms.

1. Make sure that you know whether or not you need four wheel drive to get to where your house is. A few of the houses you just drive across the sand to get to them.

2. If you are able to, go during off times. At one point, the roads are only one lane each direction, and it can take forever to go only a few miles.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:52 PM

Any recommendations for a rental agency (or a specific house)?

We are in the preliminary stages of planning a trip for next summer for approximately 13 people. It's a family trip if that matters with the ages going from <1 to 67.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:54 PM

The big one when my parents used to rent out the house was called Southern Shores, but I have no clue if it still exists. They did houses all over the place.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:09 PM

Not real original, but make sure you go to Jockey's Ridge and Cape Hatteras lighthouse. Wright Brothers memorial is kind of interesting too.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:10 PM

I'd suggest not waiting too late in the season to go. My landlord went in August the last 2 years because it was cheaper, but ended up having to leave early both times due to storms.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:26 PM

I stayed in Corolla last summer. My friends & I (about 12 total) rented an 8 bedroom house with an inground pool, hot tub, 3 levels (all with decks), etc. right on the beach.

The big downside is it was about 8 miles north of where the road ends. We all rented 4x4s - it sounds easy, but it is a huge pain in the ass. I would not recommend it. It took 2 hours to get into town and back for groceries, beers, etc. Also, AWD vehicles like Subaru Outbacks would have no chance of making it.

To make it worse, one night we were driving home and hit a sinkhole which totalled the front of the rental car. The cops came and said the tow-truck company, which happened to be one guy, was out drinking at the local bar and couldn't help us. We asked what could be done, and they said "sorry, the tide will come in and basically wreck the car."

Luckily, some locals with a F150 pulled us away from the water and we let the rental car company get it the next day.

The northern towns seemed pretty nice, albeit very family-oriented, and I would go back.

Twiddy is the main real estate company on the island.