Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 05:56 PM

Default But Mooooom, I want to call!

$10-$20 kill game at Ceasars Indiana. I'm up about 2 racks in 2 hours and am currently hitting on the hot 65 year old next to me.

Always Limping Donkey (ALD)who enjoys the line: Limp/call preflop, check/call flop, check/fold turn -- is the villan

Anyway, he plays 40-50% of hands and raises maaaaybe 10% of the them. He also hates me from a previous session because I like to raise him very much.

He raises in MP, I call in the cut-off with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] because calling is a key to winning

SB calls because he already has a chip in the pot.

Flop 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Check, ALD bets I raise, fold, ALD calls

Turn is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Ald checks, I bet, ALD raises, I shoot him disappointing glance and call

River is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He bets very very quickly possibly without realising what the last card was. I think for approximately 15 seconds and he calls a clock on me.

Eh?

Also, how close is pre-flop?
Old 06-04-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Re: But Mooooom, I want to call!

Why not 3-bet pre-flop?

I think river is an easy fold. Even if he doesn't have a boat, he's too pissed at you to fold to a flush-bluff.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:09 PM

I almost want to [censored] with him and raise the river. Obv. show your hand if he folds because you'll tilt him for the rest of his natural life. You're up two racks, man, time to have some fun!
Old 06-04-2007, 06:13 PM

This type of line from a donkey means he hates you, and he has an overpair.

Donkeys get nervous also with overpairs because they always think they are about to get snapped off, thus his hasty river action.

Finally, a bluffer would almost never call a clock so fast because they're afraid of making you call out of anger.

Fold.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:13 PM

I took me forever to figure out what his hand was. I just didn't see him playing an overpair like this.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:14 PM

Yea, the clock call was weird because I hadn't thought at all opn rivers previosu to this and it really was about 15 seconds before he called a clock. If I was him I would have been scared of the heart river, if the river was 4s I would have called quickly.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:16 PM

That's another option obv but a) he hadnt been raising that much, b) the button was going to fold, c) the SB will cold call a cap preflop or an all-in or whatever I could have mustered because he already had a chip in the pot.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c) the SB will cold call a cap preflop or an all-in or whatever I could have mustered because he already had a chip in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good reason to raise.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:30 PM

3-bet preflop, but you knew that.

I think you're in big trouble when a limping donkey checkraises on one of the big streets.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's another option obv but a) he hadnt been raising that much, b) the button was going to fold, c) the SB will cold call a cap preflop or an all-in or whatever I could have mustered because he already had a chip in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]I think B and C are reasons to raise.

Just calling leaves you with three or four opponents in the pot--craptastic for 99. Not enough to play for the set, too many to play for pair value. 3-betting gives you a better chance of getting it 3-way to the flop, with one opponent being a weak guy you can push off AK/AQ if he doesn't connect. It also allows him to cap pre-flop, which defines his hand.