Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Braces

If you like the way that your teeth look right now, then it would be a mistake to get braces. If you think that you would be happier with straighter teeth, you need to weigh these things against each other:

1) The marginal happiness that you think you would gain by having better teeth for the rest of your life.

2) The awkwardness of having braces for (presumably) 1-3 years. Note that this will probably make you less attractive during what should be some of your prime years. It will be worse if you think you will be self-conscious about the braces. Also, the thousands of dollars in costs are a factor. And finally, the minor inconvenience of orthodontist appointments, etc., must be considered.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:32 AM

I am younger than OP but be warned that there is pretty much no chance of getting them off in ~1 year. Will likely be much closer to 2 or 3. I just got braces off in December that I had since early 2003, and they also told me it would only be 1-2 years. Nevertheless, while annoying at times, they aren't that big of a deal, and you feel so good when you get them off and look at yourself in the mirror.

Oh yeah and if you get hit in the mouth in a fight its really bad because the metal will go into your lip and your mouth will start to bleed with even a minor blow to the face [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2007, 11:20 AM

I'm 24 and I got braces this past October. Best decision. They are a pain in the ass for less than a week, and then you forget you even have them.Do it do it do it.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to hijack, but does anyone on this board have experience with Invisalign?

Edited to add: I think it would suck having braces my last two years of college

[/ QUOTE ]

My ex got Invisaligna few years back. Her teeth weren't even that crooked, barely noticable even, but they bothered her a lot so she went for it.

Her experience was very good. Her teeth look great now, and the braces themselves were virtually unnoticable. No one even knew she had them, in fact. The best thing about Invisalign was that she could take them out any time she wanted -- while she ate, drank, gave me head, etc.

I would definitely recommend them to anyone over the age of 16. No way would I ever go through college with metal braces. They are more expensive, but probably worth the investment if your social life means anything to you.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:27 PM

Okay, I'm liking the feedback.

I do like my smile the way it is right now, but I also want to be assured when I'm older, I'm just as happy with my teeth as I am now. Which might not seem like the case if my teeth keep crowding.

Can someone explain to me what Invisalign is? I noticed the receptionist at my dentist's office had these nearly transparent braces, and you only saw the one metal bar across the teeth -- quite unnoticable. Is this what they are?
Old 05-31-2007, 02:59 PM

the fall before my senior year of high school, i decided to get braces. i made this decision after visiting an TMJ expert who told me i would be at a high risk for TMJ dysfunction later in life, as my lower jaw was too long for my upper jaw, putting pressure on my TMJ joint. i was put on a 2 year program that involved braces, rubber bands, bite planes, and many other devices that i had to wear 24/7 for some amount of time, as he was just not straightening my teeth, he was reseting my jaw.

well, i half assed it and 2 years turned into three. i'm scheduled to get them off finally (fingers crossed) next monday.

as far as how braces affected my social life, they didn't. modern braces are so much smaller than their older counterparts that required a metal band around every tooth that many people cannot tell i have braces at first glance (i've also got smaller teeth so less of them show when i smile) that said, i can't wait to get them off.

my advice to you is that if getting braces today will prevent further complications later in life (i was looking at chronic jaw pain by the age of 35), by all means do it, but don't half ass it. wear your devices at all times no matter what. you'll be glad you did it.