Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Shaving: Merkur Safety Razors

I wetshave with a Merkur as well. Love it. Much less irritation with a closer shave. Just buy one of those aluminum stick things to stop bleeding when you do cut yourself. Also make sure to have a good aftershave.

Jzpiano, there are some type of Israeli blades that some people prefer to Feathers. I would recommend Googling.

These are the blades: http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Super-Platinum-I...9QQcmdZViewItem

You can probably find them somewhere other than ebay.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wetshave with a Merkur as well. Love it. Much less irritation with a closer shave. Just buy one of those aluminum stick things to stop bleeding when you do cut yourself. Also make sure to have a good aftershave.

Jzpiano, there are some type of Israeli blades that some people prefer to Feathers. I would recommend Googling.

These are the blades: http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Super-Platinum-I...9QQcmdZViewItem

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx for the link, I don't think these will work with a straight razor or will they?
Old 05-16-2007, 08:31 PM

I use these because they were free. I actually like them a lot more than the Fusion I was using before.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

OTB, have you tried dry shaving with a good Norelco electric? When I say "dry" I mean you prep your face with talc before shaving (and after washing your face, obv).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not used an electric razor for any significant period of time. The limited times I have used one, I've really disliked it. I'd rank it below the usual cartridge-type (Mach 3, Fusion, etc) razors.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:36 PM

I like to give a quick pass over my face with an electric while Im putzing around teh house, before I hop in the shower and shave for real, I tend to be able to get a much better shave.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

OTB, have you tried dry shaving with a good Norelco electric? When I say "dry" I mean you prep your face with talc before shaving (and after washing your face, obv).

[/ QUOTE ]

i use a norelco electric i got as a gift, it is so-so if im in a rush it works okay but im i have time i perfer blade. My question is i dont use Talc, i just grab my electric and get to work. Should i being using talc (and what is it) what about shick's letric shave gel stuff i have seen commericals for?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:30 PM

i got into wet shaving thanks to this thread and have since become pretty addicttted to it. once you get your technique down, the shaves really are a lot better, not to mention it actually being a pleasurable experience rather than a chore. before i was using mach 3 / gillette fusion and canned gel and hated it.

just checked classicshaving and noticed they have this other variety of the merkur now. tempted to order one.

also, someone mentioned places to get blades, this store has a good selection. the next thing i really want to try though are these shaving soaps. everyone seems to rave about them on the various shaving nerd forums.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:53 PM

I love my Mach 3 - can't imagine something better.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:56 PM

These things all shave TOO close for me, resulting in ingrown hairs. I reverted to the Sensor.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx for the link, I don't think these will work with a straight razor or will they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no, I thought you were looking for safety razor blades.