Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 02:40 PM

Default Re: What do you think of a call here?

[ QUOTE ]

I agree with LSgambler and SnareSound.

I was hoping to get some more harsh replies than I did. IMO a a call here is terrible.

Given the lateness of the raiser I kinda think a push is best, but anyway fold is obviously fine too.

The reason I posed this question is the player in question was Sklansky, and he called.

He was at my table in a 5k event recently for a few hours and he was frankly pretty bad. There are a few more hands I could post but I thought this one was nice and easy to set up.

[/ QUOTE ]

He may have had some other reason for calling though. In general, calling here is bad. But if he really felt he was better than his opponents playing this hand OOP, it might be a call. If he wanted to gamboool it could be a call. If he wanted to make you think about why he did so, it might be a call. etc.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:44 PM

K6s is 21.5% against 3 others all playing a top 30% hand. Everyone else is at 26.2% ...

Costs you 1200 to see 6675.

You only drop to 20% if they play top 20% of all hands
Old 05-01-2007, 02:46 PM

The problem is reverse implied odds after the flop.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:47 PM

haven't you ever heard of gambool?
Old 05-01-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
K6s is 21.5% against 3 others all playing a top 30% hand. Everyone else is at 26.2% ...

Costs you 1200 to see 6675.

You only drop to 20% if they play top 20% of all hands

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your post-flop OOP equity against these ranges?

Edit to mention that your ranges are horrendous BTW. Who the [censored] CCs a PFR w/Q7s?
Old 05-01-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I was hoping to get some more harsh replies than I did. IMO a a call here is terrible.

Given the lateness of the raiser I kinda think a push is best, but anyway fold is obviously fine too.

The reason I posed this question is the player in question was Sklansky, and he called.

He was at my table in a 5k event recently for a few hours and he was frankly pretty bad. There are a few more hands I could post but I thought this one was nice and easy to set up.

[/ QUOTE ]

He may have had some other reason for calling though. In general, calling here is bad. But if he really felt he was better than his opponents playing this hand OOP, it might be a call. If he wanted to gamboool it could be a call. If he wanted to make you think about why he did so, it might be a call. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

People always start in with these rationalizations and soon as the apparently bad player in question is identified as famous.

And FWIW, he was not going to be 'outplaying' anyone, especially since he only has one pot sized bet left after the flop comes down.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not as big a problem as you'd think. Because most of time you open push you're gonna have a flush draw.

I agree that if you are gonna blanket push any 6 or K you are probably hurting overall (too many calls from 77-TT) and KQ type hands.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can let it go if it is particularly ugly post flop ... but if I hit and someone bites I can close to triple up for 1200 chips
Old 05-01-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People always start in with these rationalizations and soon as the apparently bad player in question is identified as famous.

And FWIW, he was not going to be 'outplaying' anyone, especially since he only has one pot sized bet left after the flop comes down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not my point. The point is that there are a million reasons why he made this call. Only one of which is "He is a bad player."

The way you set this post up, seemed to imply, "OMG David Sklansky is terrible at poker."

All I was saying is that EVERY poker player, including David Sklansky, makes mistakes at the table. There are tons of reasons for a player making a bad play. Only one of which is, "He sucks at poker."
Old 05-01-2007, 03:10 PM

You only flop a flush draw 10.9% of the time (according to Google).