Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Re: When a check isn\'t a check

I don't see why my river check is horrendous... I'm playing in a loose passive 6/12 game with 6 other players... I think that in that game a river bet is neg value more often then not.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But looking to the left? Really? You accept that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only do I accept it, but it is so common that I would be willing to bet that have accepted this action as a check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there are many ways to check. I agree with bav. Just looking left isn't a check. It's not common. Not anywhere where I've played anyways. Neither is looking down at the table. Usually there has to be something more, as Bav mentioned. The dealers should've made him check in a more obvious manner previously. Then this wouldn't have come up.

You realize by saying that's a check, you now basically tell everyone they can't look anywhere during the hand upon their action? And yes, some people will call you on that and take it to the extreme.

b

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't said that every time a player looks to his left that is a check. I said that in context this can be and often is a check. As i stated before, the way the player move sthere head, where there focus is, and their facial expression AND MOST IMPORTANTLY... whether they have checked in this manner before are relevant to determining whether it is a check.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also, bet the river! that check is soooo bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

So with five limpers calling the whole way down you don't put someone on a hand that can beat AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you even read the board in the OP? Or do you just suck at this game?
Old 04-25-2007, 02:33 AM

JC psandman, stop whining and complaining about a lost cause. You have 1400 posts, haven't you learned anything yet.

Based upon what the OP said, it's unanimous that the guy didn't check and in most houses there wouldn't have been sufficient action behind such that he loses the right to act. If the player hasn't made a "definitive" check either wait or ask him (if you're ADHD) if he acted before you act.

Yes, bsnone the river check is horrible, if they've been checking and calling all the way then check the river not only is it highly likely that you have the best hand (no straight, no flush, you have the best 2 pair, etc, etc) it is also very likely that you will get paid off in more than 1 spot, so this is a significantly EV+ river bet.

You guys should learn to play poker better and maybe you can graduate to higher limits where "people respect your raises".

Had to edit the post after all the morass of the thread forgot that psandman wasn't the OP.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:15 AM

Sounds pretty ordinary. The error is on the dealer. Just today I make a rivered nut flush. Two players ahead of me check and the two behind me check-check like I wasn't there. I have to alert the dealer that the action was to me and stop the button from turning her hand. Funny thing is I bet and still get 3 callers.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why my river check is horrendous... I'm playing in a loose passive 6/12 game with 6 other players... I think that in that game a river bet is neg value more often then not.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong.

What are you afraid of someone having on the river, that you didn't hear about on the turn?

b
Old 04-25-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also, bet the river! that check is soooo bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

So with five limpers calling the whole way down you don't put someone on a hand that can beat AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You'd have likely heard from that person on the turn. People will call with much less.

b
Old 04-25-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But looking to the left? Really? You accept that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only do I accept it, but it is so common that I would be willing to bet that have accepted this action as a check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there are many ways to check. I agree with bav. Just looking left isn't a check. It's not common. Not anywhere where I've played anyways. Neither is looking down at the table. Usually there has to be something more, as Bav mentioned. The dealers should've made him check in a more obvious manner previously. Then this wouldn't have come up.

You realize by saying that's a check, you now basically tell everyone they can't look anywhere during the hand upon their action? And yes, some people will call you on that and take it to the extreme.

b

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't said that every time a player looks to his left that is a check. I said that in context this can be and often is a check. As i stated before, the way the player move sthere head, where there focus is, and their facial expression AND MOST IMPORTANTLY... whether they have checked in this manner before are relevant to determining whether it is a check.

[/ QUOTE ]

To a point, I agree with you. However, the dealer, earlier, should've made sure his checking motion was more obvious, or literally confirm that this head movement is a check. That's how you avoid this stuff.

b