Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: When a check isn\'t a check

Hahahahahahaha! He flopped quads and checked/call all the way, never getting a raise in.

I would have bought him a beer.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but... how many players check by looking down at the board or their cards or their chips? That's what you do when you're thinking,

[/ QUOTE ]

But thats not what this player did . . he looked down the table . . . this isn't looking down at the table, looking down the table is when they turn and look to the next players.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but... how many players check by looking down at the board or their cards or their chips? That's what you do when you're thinking,

[/ QUOTE ]

But thats not what this player did . . he looked down the table . . . this isn't looking down at the table, looking down the table is when they turn and look to the next players.

[/ QUOTE ]
So how is this player supposed to look at the stack sizes of his opponents or check their faces or look for shaking hands or look for someone anticipating being able to bet if looking down the table is a check?

At some point the dealer needs to insist on some less ambiguous indication of a check. "He looked to his left" shouldn't be accepted as a check.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So how is this player supposed to look at the stack sizes of his opponents or check their faces or look for shaking hands or look for someone anticipating being able to bet if looking down the table is a check?

At some point the dealer needs to insist on some less ambiguous indication of a check. "He looked to his left" shouldn't be accepted as a check.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many times are players in a $6/$12 Limit game looking at their opponents stack sizes?

This isn't an ambigious move. Though if the player was new to the game it might be important for a dealer/player to seek clarification, once the player establishes this move as a check it is a check. It would be absurd for a dealer to ask the same player over and over again if that is a check.

But I have seen this sort of head check so often that I don't even consider it ambigious most of the time. You can usually tellf rom the way the player moves his head, and where his focus is, and his facial expressions what he is doing. It can be more difficult with a player wearing sunglasses, but even then the motion of the head is often enough to tell. Unfortunately these subtlties can be lost by a dealer whose attention is elsewhere (I had a player pull this move on me when the dealer was talking to the player in the one seat who just had had his cards mucked by mistake), and sadly is almost never relayed correctly to the floor when a decision is sought.

most of the games I deal would come to a screeching halt if I insisted that players all check in e specific manner. First I would have to stop and ask far to often and then it would lead to nothing but arguments between me and the players who don't want to be told how to check. I would get a good 5 hands out a down.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
most of the games I deal would come to a screeching halt if I insisted that players all check in e specific manner.

[/ QUOTE ]
My hyperbole meter is into the yellow. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I ain't saying you have to make every player rap the table three times with their right hand with at least three fingers and the palm touching the table each time, with no more than 1 second between raps.

But looking to the left? Really? You accept that?
Old 04-24-2007, 09:04 PM

Be happy this retard didn't take more money off of you.

Your river check is horrendous!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:13 PM

I think villian is playing an angle but is likely within the rules. Since he used the same motion before to signify a check he could have had the ruling go against him, IMO. It is also possible that he is looking left to see if he can pick up any tells. And taking advantage of other people's impatience.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only do I accept it, but it is so common that I would be willing to bet that have accepted this action as a check.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only do I accept it, but it is so common that I would be willing to bet that have accepted this action as a check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there are many ways to check. I agree with bav. Just looking left isn't a check. It's not common. Not anywhere where I've played anyways. Neither is looking down at the table. Usually there has to be something more, as Bav mentioned. The dealers should've made him check in a more obvious manner previously. Then this wouldn't have come up.

You realize by saying that's a check, you now basically tell everyone they can't look anywhere during the hand upon their action? And yes, some people will call you on that and take it to the extreme.

b
Old 04-25-2007, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your river check is horrendous!

[/ QUOTE ]