Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 04-17-2007, 06:44 AM

Default $4k Guaranteed: Weird limp behind, then reraise. Wtf is this?

About 30 hands in, this is villain's first reraise and he hasn't limped much or played many pots. My image is TAG. I haven't played a hand since ~6 hands ago when AJ > my AKs AIPF.

What do you make of button's limp behind and then re-raise. Does he ever do this with a legitimate hand? What's your range for getting it in the middle here?

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: T25/T50
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: T3643
UTG+1: T2780
MP1: T2270
MP2: T2660
MP3: T3020
CO: T4239
Button: T4348
SB: T2210
Hero: T1830

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with TWO CARDS
5 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="red">Hero raises to T250</font>, CO folds, <font color="red">Button raises to T900</font>, SB folds, Hero... </font>

Range?
Old 04-17-2007, 08:46 AM

Default Re: $4k Guaranteed: Weird limp behind, then reraise. Wtf is this?

any hand I felt like raising here I am not folding to either of thier limp RR
Old 04-17-2007, 09:03 AM

Agreed. They're probably not playing with trash - but I wouldn't put them on a very good hand. They probably think you're on the steal and just showing they don't want their money to be stolen.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:41 AM

Anyone have any tentative ideas on a range we could put him on for doing this, though? It's just that my image is pretty TAG so far, and even in LP or from blinds I have only re-raised once and it showed down (AKs).

At the time I thought it was less likely a total steal and more likely a small-medium pair (limps behind for set value, then sees a raise that kills set value and figures they can re-raise for fold equity/possibly coinflip if it gets all-in). I don't know if that's an incredibly common thing though, just a guess
Old 04-17-2007, 10:18 AM

Any 2 really... He's the chip leader, you've been TAG so he probably knows you can't call a raise of 1/2 your stack. Late in a tournament I'd be afraid of AA but this early he's just looking to push you out. I'd jam with 9's or &gt; or two big A or paint.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
any hand I felt like raising here I am not folding to either of thier limp RR

[/ QUOTE ]

Shaun,

Are you saying that you are never stealing with junk here? I do a lot with a bit deeper stack. Or are you saying you aren't stealing here b/c of your stack size?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the time I thought it was less likely a total steal and more likely a small-medium pair (limps behind for set value, then sees a raise that kills set value and figures they can re-raise for fold equity/possibly coinflip if it gets all-in). I don't know if that's an incredibly common thing though, just a guess

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my initial thought too. Anything from 99 or TT down. After cutoff folds he puts you on two high cards and rightfully believes he can take it down now or at a minimum push SB out and flip with you. Not sure what your raising range is here, but in this position I'd probably tank for a bit, say "wtf - this looks fishy," and push anything I was willing to raise. If you've got a pair 99 or higher he's likely crushed. If you've got 2 high cards there is too much dead money not jump at the chance to flip. Given the size of the re-raise you're pretty committed to seeing all 5 cards so get it in now. If you're making a punish the limpers move with medium suited connectors or the like then you've been caught and can let it go.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:12 AM

I'd get it in with 99+, AQ+ here, and I wouldn't have raised preflop with anything less either (I'm not a fan of stealing from the BB).
Old 04-17-2007, 03:18 PM

I folded AQs which I thought was maybe pretty weak as I was clicking the fold button, but I chickened out

LOL-worthy results: he had AA and showed.

Obv doesn't necessarily justify my fold because it's just a stupid fluke thing. People are limping behind in LP with AA now? Terrific
Old 04-17-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I folded AQs which I thought was maybe pretty weak as I was clicking the fold button, but I chickened out

LOL-worthy results: he had AA and showed.

Obv doesn't necessarily justify my fold because it's just a stupid fluke thing. People are limping behind in LP with AA now? Terrific

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they are, and I am one of them. Only works if you have hyperaggro players behind you that love to raise up the limpers. I actually got called a fish for doing it the other night, lol.