Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Scariest Games Ever

F.E.A.R either on a fast computer or on a 360 witha big tv/sub. Use headphones, crank it up, be in pitch black darkness (only allowing tv/monitors for light) and be drunk/high while your playing.

prepare to have the [censored] scared out of you. I made my fiance play the demo, she was almost in tears by the end of it. Certain mixes of sounds can do things in your brain, f.e.a.r has found the exact perfect mix for an adrenaline dump/scary feeling when mixed with the scenes.

it's sweet [censored]
Old 04-17-2007, 04:28 PM

Alone in the Dark on 3D0 because I was so young when I played it.

Silent Hill because of it's constant tension. It wasn't really a "make you jump" scary. It was just absolutely eerie and tense (little blue baby ghosts ftw).

The resident evil games weren't too scary, but obviously had some creepy scare moments.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:03 PM

The first game that scared me was Rescue on Fractalus . In my defence I was only 10 years old at the time, but the downed pilot actually being an alien was a real shock. I remember having a friend with me the first time we saw it and he fell of his seat and started crying!

I'm sure it looks entirely unfrightening to those of you who don't remember the game but it kind of shot into view very fast accompanied by a sudden noise. For children inexperienced in the interactive computer experience and with their faces right near the TV it could be quite intense.

You can watch the intro and some gameplay of this classic game here. The final pilot he picks up turns out to be an alien so you can see the "frightening" effect.

After that I wasn't scared by anything in computer games until Doom. A few of the lights off/monsters come flooding out moments really got me. By Doom 2 I had desensitised to it and wasn't affected.

Silent Hill and the like were disturbing but never really shocking.

Half life 2:Episode One also shocked me slightly when the train derails and you're right next to a screaming stalker head.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:24 PM

I remember an old-school NES game called Uninvited. It was a first person game where you are stranded inside a creepy house and has a Choose your own adventure type of feel to it.

But then again, it was scarier when I was 10.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:31 PM

Some of my scariest gaming moments were in Deus Ex. I was crawling through an air vent and all of a sudden this tiny little dinosaur had creeped on me. Then there were the larger four-legged dinosaurs.

The worst though were the Greys (traditional bald aliens). You'd be walking around a laboratory and see some Greys in the distance. As soon as they see you they SPRINT right for you and it's the most horrifying thing ever.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:13 PM

Guess what I picked up today for 12 bones?

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

I'll check back here later with first impressions. I believe it is one of Gamecube's most highly scored games as well!
Old 04-17-2007, 06:56 PM

That is hilarious.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:53 PM

Condemned is up there (the locker at the top of the staircase anyone? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh WTF...and the department store), as are the Fatal Frame games

some other good & very scary games that i'm surprised no one has mentioned yet are

Siren (very deep and challenging survival horror/stealth game for the PS2)
and
Aliens vs. Predator 2 (early game from F.E.A.R. developer Monolith, graphics seem crappy now but the first hour of the marine campaign is a less-is-more masterpiece of horror)

System Shock 2 was spine-chilling also.

but Condemned to me is the scariest...long live Monolith
Old 04-17-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thief 3 for PC. If anyone's played it, there's one ridiculously creepy part: the dolls in the haunted insane asylum/hospital.

Anyone remember?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...I do. I had actually forgotten about that level, the whole damn thing was pretty scary, especially the "knocking" in certain parts. Creeps me out.

Man I hope they make another Thief.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:09 PM

I liked the original System Shock, which in its time was a scarier and better game than Doom.

Edit: Also worth mentioning is XCOM, especially when played late at night with the lights off.