Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 04-16-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Re: The Bees are disappearing

[ QUOTE ]
Don't look now, but frogs and toads are disappearing as well.

Disappearing Frogs

[/ QUOTE ]

big deal - have you ever seen a frog build a stock market? phhhffff..

we'll just genetically engineer some new ones. And new crops that don't need pollen, but of course, don't seed and will have to be repurchased every year from the companies that do GM.

I swear creation is falling apart before our very eyes.

rb
Old 04-16-2007, 11:56 AM

Why can't those frogs that invaded Hawaii disappear?
Old 04-16-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This article was released today, the link works for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think the link does work for you. You did comment on it, after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

The link that was posted in the OP might have been messed up when I pasted it, but it wasnt, and works for me. Get hit by a bus.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have made some improvements in this post. In fact, that second phrase is almost a sentence! Keep up the good work!
Old 04-16-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I posted about this two weeks ago in SMP -

the general response was as political as they come, with folks weighing in that it's just a GM bashing thread and humanity will survive, etc, etc.

in short, the SMP forum put it's hands over it's ears and went LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU

I look forward to a more intelligent discussion over here [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] -

GM was the first thing I heard though I too have now heard about the potential of cell phone towers to cause issues.

It has been years since I've seen a legitimate honeybee in the wild - we had them in the walls of our house as a kid - but now all I see are wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets.

rb

[/ QUOTE ]

Whiskeytown,

I agree this is a pretty devastating trend with some potentially catastrophic results if it continues. But I think the SMP reaction was a reaction to your way of framing the question.

How about if instead of making your post about being anti-genetic modification, you instead framed in a way to stimulate discussion of the potential problems of bees dying/disappearing and all of the potential causes rather than just the one you're against?

<font color="white">I peg the number of whiskeytown posts in this thread at five before he's trying to blame this on Wal-Mart too. </font>
Old 04-16-2007, 01:02 PM

if you read my initial post more closely in SMP, I was simply pointing out the article's suggestion it was GM crops - had I seen the cell phone theory article first I'd have linked to that instead

though the scientific evidence is still out there - it was not an anti-GM rant and I didn't express my disdain for frankenfood til my thread turned into a GM cheerleader thread though I do suspect the answer will be to try to GM our way out of the pollenation issue.

To suggest that because one disapproves of the hypothesis that GM crops or cell phones are causing the issue in no way diminishes the impact or the fact the issue is STILL occuring and being observed in many places of the world.

And to turn it into a GM cheerleader thread and ignore the point of the original post because they support frankenfood is disingeneous and irrelevant to the facts and contributed nothing to the conversation.

but hey, seriously, REALLY seriously - what do I care - it won't affect me - I'm an American - we'll just bomb and take what we need from others to survive anyways.

rb
Old 04-17-2007, 04:03 PM

possibilities are

pesticides
cell phones
genetically modified crops
imported bees

the leading theory is imported bees. nowadays they have giant bee companies that bring bees into crop areas and release them for pollination. these bees come from all over and even oversees. this could easily introduce strains and crossbreeding traits that could account for the bees not returning to the hives.

as far as geneticaly modified crops. if you dont mind having frog or pig genes put into your vegetables dont worry. or having corn modified so it can be doused with roundup and not die. some people worry about those things and some people dont. same with smoking. to each his own.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:35 AM

quids,

Fascinating stuff.

CNN article
Old 04-23-2007, 04:02 PM

Albert Einstein:

"If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man."

Suckers.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is an article I found, what is the deal? What do you guys think? I cant believe that we have lost 60 to 70% of our commercial bee population.

http://news.independent.co.uk/enviro...cle2449968.ece

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they are coming back as beedogs, seen at www.beedogs.com. Given that beedogs have a significantly higher unit mass, we may be zero-sum on that front.

I do question which event is the greater sign of the apocalypse, however: the prevalence of beedogs in our modern bureaucratic state, or the absence of legitimate honeybees.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:01 AM

My wi-fi just killed a bee...