Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Borgata $10/$20 2-way trip report

I played the $10/$20 2-way (30 min. O/8 30 min. Stud/8) at the Borgata on Saturday. I've played this game at the Taj a few times, and each time there were a few good players in it. This was my first time playing it at the Borgata, and the game was ridiculously soft.

On the Omaha end, many folks seemed to play any 4, particularly any 4 that had an ace. Those that called pre-flop were pretty much in no fold mode.

A couple of highlights:

Board of 2-J-J-Q-K capped on the river between older man and younger man. Older man shows full house. Younger man shows A-3-4-7 and says he has a low. LOLZA.

Kill pot ($15/$30) raised before flop, I call in MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. 5 players. Flop 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Checked around. Turn is A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Checked to me (surprising), I bet, 4 callers(!). I curse to myself, figuring that my high is no good, my flush draw is probably no good, and my low draw is probably no good. River 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Other highlights are people calling down to river with Jack-high flushes, calling the river on a flush board with a straight, folks who play every hand (literally), irrespective of whether there is a pfr, yada yada.

Good game ... and the play in the Stud-8 part is just as bad.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Borgata $10/$20 2-way trip report

Niss, what do you buy in with for a game like that (factoring in the kill)? How often does it run?

This sounds like heaven, except for having to go to Borgata for it.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:25 PM

Goldmine. Just sit and wait for hands and get paid off by non-nut chasers.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Goldmine. Just sit and wait for hands and get paid off by non-nut chasers.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much dead on. I could see it getting very frustrating if you're card dead and watching monkeys take down pots with ridiculous hands, but as long as you can avoid that, it's a good game. Probably the softest game I've ever played in, at least it was on Saturday. And this was *not* my experience at the Taj, where the play was definitely better in my experience. Funny thing is there were 3 players at my table who I recognized from the Taj.

I bought in for $400 each time (I left for dinner).

I hear the game goes pretty frequently. When I got down there on Friday at 4 PM, there were two seats. We never had more than a seat open until I left at 1 AM.

Another funny thing was we had a dealer who also dealt the 100/200 Omaha game. He said the play at the 100/200 is worse than the play at the 10/20.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good game ... and the play in the Stud-8 part is just as bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

without a doubt. Burt (silver haired organizer is decent), others are generally brain dead. i got to AC on Sunday, but ended up playing the $5/$10 at the Taj instead. booked wins in O8, as well as small wins in NLHE and Stud-Hi... realized live O8 is rigged when someone rivered quads on my top set, and then my nut flush losing to a rivered fullhouse on the very next hand.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

without a doubt. Burt (silver haired organizer is decent), others are generally brain dead. i got to AC on Sunday, but ended up playing the $5/$10 at the Taj instead. booked wins in O8, as well as small wins in NLHE and Stud-Hi... realized live O8 is rigged when someone rivered quads on my top set, and then my nut flush losing to a rivered fullhouse on the very next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Burt's a pretty funny guy, he's always got some amusing stories. And the other guys there are all pretty awful. Although since I tend to get counterfeited a lot, I usually buy in for 600, with a tray of whites to build castles with when the play slows to a crawl.

As far as I know, the game goes pretty regularly even on weekdays.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:48 AM

My feeling on Burt is that he is very loose pre-flop and then tries to bully people out of hands whenever possible. His flaw is that he has trouble laying down a hand after he's pulled this act, when he should know that he's beaten. Accurate?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:53 AM

What time did the game go on Saturday?

I called from my car on the GSP and put my name on the list and was 5th I was afraid the game wasn't going to go for a while so I opted to play in the 5/10 O8 game at the Taj and got in that game right away. That game was equally good.

There were 2 2-ways going at the the Taj but the main game had a pretty strong lineup.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:35 AM

Sorry, I lied. I played the game on Friday.

Did not know you could call ahead and put your name on the list.

My experience with the 2-way at the Taj is that there are always at least a few people who know what they're doing. This Borgata game bore little resemblance to that.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:43 PM

I got a very nice guy on the phone who put me on the list. Maybe I was just lucky that time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Yes the Taj 2-way does have some heavy hitters. That game usually is good late Sat night/Early Sun morning the times I have sat in it. Daytime usually sucks.

The Borg 2-way game has alot of the players I used to play with in the old Taj 10/20 2-way. Burt of course was one of them. There are others.....lots of em.